Like Tree17Likes

Dying in Serviced Apartment

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    A little enthusiastic unless you can walk on water! 10 minutes at least, 15 for female! And if you're pretentious (or racist enough in some cases) to frequent the Steaming Turd then add in a swagger.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Definitely not pretentious or racist and I have been known to walk faster than a lot of men. So does that mean I'd still make it in 5?
    Last edited by Kate from Oz; 17-02-2011 at 12:17 PM.
    Dmmos likes this.

We've just sorted the Serviced Apartment now. Have been out and viewed a few and found one that ticks all the boxes. Glad that's sorted now.

Will be heading out to Sai Kung and CWB in the next day or two to have a good look around and test the travel to work options.

We currently have one agent working for us who has been quite good and another recommended agent for Sai Kung location.

We're out viewing apartments but not many have hit home as much as Robinson Road 80 so far.

Last edited by Kate from Oz; 17-02-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Kate is this the sort of view/condition that you are after ? Just an example, this one isn't available for rent and is an area of Sai Kung that isn't within walking distance of the main road, a car here is a must.

Some of the nicest homes in this area aren't as assessable to public transport, in a walking distance sense, but those that do live in these pretty pockets generally have a car. Keeps all the crowds away, just the way we like it . There are better properties out here than 80 Robinson road for around the same money, that are larger ( 2100 - 2500ft2 or 3000ft2 ), you just have to find them, and not give up if the first couple of days with agents aren't very productive. Eventually a home with your name on it will appear .

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-02-2011 at 01:11 PM.

kate, i don't know if it's been said or not yet (haven't read all 5 pages)....

do NOT judge by what you can find on the internet! looking for a place in hk is ALL about treading the pavement! you are unlikely to find anything suitable on the internet, or if you do they'll be priced too high, not actually be for rent (but for sale) and completely untrustworthy...

the ONLY way you will find a decent place is to actually go to the area and into some agents' offices.

sai kung is great and there are A LOT of vacancies. you just have to be willing to do a little work.

as for owning a car? you can get one dirt cheap second-hand (ours was less than $10k). it opens a lot more of hk to you when you have a car. i can be in stanley, central, mid-levels, causeway bay, in 45 minutes, the airport in 1 hour, sheun shui (for going to Shenzhen) about 40 minutes...

apologies, i now see that skyhook and moving have both said what i did.... it's just too late for me to edit my post.

Skyhook - is this one of your flats that you've renovated? its gorgeous, I love that kitchen and that view is a killer !

Quote Originally Posted by carang
    apologies, i now see that skyhook and moving have both said what i did.... it's just too late for me to edit my post.
    No harm in reinforcing the point. It's pretty important.

Skyhook, I'm trying to place that via the views, is it along the road by Ma Nam Wat, near the HK Marina? I lived with my parents on their boat there, back in the 80's, it looks familiar and I know there has been some major development in the area.

Skyhook, that is definitely the style of place we are looking for. Nice view, nice decor. Clean!

We've learnt that we can survive with something 1000 sqf and above now. Space or lack thereof was the thing we thought would be the hardest thing to get used to. We've managed ok in the past few months though, surprisingly.

We are visiting Sai Kung to do as suggested. Visit a few agents and a few properties to get a feel for it.

What is the commute like to the airport if you have your own car?

The commute to work and airport is going to be the important thing when making a final decision.

The hope was not to have to worry about a car but that may not be avoidable, especially if moving out that far.

I actually don't mind that metropolitan feel either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG
    Skyhook, I'm trying to place that via the views, is it along the road by Ma Nam Wat, near the HK Marina?
    Not far from HK Marina Fiona, ( Shelter Cove ), at the other end in Che Keng Tuk, roughly1km before you reach the Marina. The best spot in the area ( imho ), but luckily it wont appeal to those that are captives of the MTR and public transport, so it will remain the mid to high end sleepy hollow that it is.

It would have been fab living on a boat, you would have really enjoyed it out there, it's one of the best looking Marina's around, re surroundings.

The area you mentioned is up the hill diagonally behind the HK Marina club house, which is a bit of a shame, I patently dislike what they have done there, it's such a typical NT cram just for the sake of making a dollar, it really has spoiled that end. I do like the houses that are right behind the club house though, there is a group of 3 by themselves, quite secluded and private, surrounded by very mature trees. Which is the way it used to be, before the villagers decided to make a quick buck and build the white elephants that they built over the last 5 years.

Luckily at the other end there isn't any spare vacant land so things will remain neat and tidy, unspoilt.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 17-02-2011 at 05:21 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast