Like Tree2Likes

New Territories Housing: Recommendations Appreciated!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

New Territories Housing: Recommendations Appreciated!

I have accepted a post at Lingnan University in Tuen Mun, and am thrilled to be moving to HK in May. I am moving with my husband and 1 year old daughter. While I am pretty familiar with HK Island, I know very little about the New Territories but am excited for the adventure.

Can anyone recommend any short-term housing in that area? Service apartment or sublet?

Also, I am not that excited about living in a high-rise building. Is there housing in Tuen Mun (or somewhere kinda close) that is not high-rise buildings? I'd love to find an apartment in a smaller building, or even better a house (do those exist)? But I also don't want to spend an exorbitant amount on housing.

I really appreciate any suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by agoodman:
    I have accepted a post at Lingnan University in Tuen Mun, and am thrilled to be moving to HK in May. I am moving with my husband and 1 year old daughter. While I am pretty familiar with HK Island, I know very little about the New Territories but am excited for the adventure.

Can anyone recommend any short-term housing in that area? Service apartment or sublet?

Also, I am not that excited about living in a high-rise building. Is there housing in Tuen Mun (or somewhere kinda close) that is not high-rise buildings? I'd love to find an apartment in a smaller building, or even better a house (do those exist)? But I also don't want to spend an exorbitant amount on housing.

I really appreciate any suggestions!
    Hi,

Please check your PM

Hi, there's a big hotel/ resort place (the name of which escapes me) in Tin Shui Wai which has serviced apartments - MUCH cheaper than anywhere else in HK for what you get because so few people want to live so far "out in the sticks". It is however a good deal for someone working in Tuen Mun: not right next door, but easy commuting.

Lots of low density housing in the area, but you really do need to check places out in person, and preferably at different times of day/ night to find out how many noisy dogs are in residence, whether the indigenous inhabitants are friendly to foreigners (some places are very open to outsiders, others quite the opposite), ease of access (can a taxi drive right to the house, are there lots of steps, etc.), and other practical issues.

bryant.english likes this.

GoldCoast is probably the most conveniently located / westernized / relaxed area near Tuen Mun - 10 minute by public transport

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Hi, there's a big hotel/ resort place (the name of which escapes me) in Tin Shui Wai which has serviced apartments - MUCH cheaper than anywhere else in HK for what you get because so few people want to live so far "out in the sticks". It is however a good deal for someone working in Tuen Mun: not right next door, but easy commuting.
    Welcome to the Official Site of Harbour Plaza Resort City, Tin Shui Wai, Hong Kong
    Last edited by bryant.english; 24-02-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: snip

Lingnan University is not in Tuen Mun itself, it's in Fu Tei. The nearest MTR is Siu Hong.

While it is far from westernised, this area is home to quite a large population of western teachers and students.

Lam Tei, Siu Hong or Tsing Chuen Wai are the best choices given the OPs budget and preference of a village house.

Given that and 'Movingin07' may be able to confirm? I think there may be a mini bus from Gold Coast that goes to Fu Tei? Still, seems like I would live in Fu Tei and commute to the Gold Coast for a weekly western fix rather than commute the extra to work every day!!!

K51 bus goes from Tai Lam to Fu Tai, stopping at Gold Coast along the way.

There's quite a few decent apartment developments very nearby the university. Off the top of my head... Beneville, The Sherwood, Botania Gardens, Parkland Villas, and probably a few more. I'd recommend going to Siu Hong KCR station and visiting the property agencies located there and they'll be able to recommend places.

Last edited by kryzlowski; 24-02-2011 at 11:21 PM.

thank you, everyone, for the recommendations! i think we will probably steer away from the gold coast and will probably look into harbour plaza or a village house.

thanks again!!!

Quote Originally Posted by agoodman:
    thank you, everyone, for the recommendations! i think we will probably steer away from the gold coast and will probably look into harbour plaza or a village house.

thanks again!!!
    The Gold Coast area (not the goldcoast itself) has plenty of Houses/Villas if that is more your style. Monte Carlo Villa for example comes to mind (of course depends on your budget...)

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Lingnan University is not in Tuen Mun itself, it's in Fu Tei. The nearest MTR is Siu Hong.
    True, but still in Tuen Mun District - it takes me about 45 minutes to walk to Lingnan from Tuen Mun town centre.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast