Real Estate Agent concern

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Real Estate Agent concern

Hi All,

I have a quick question I hope someone here might be able to answer for me.

My husband and I have been looking to buy a flat and have been looking at different ones with an agent who was recommended to us. When I went to the bank today to drop off a receipt they needed, the banker told me about a conversation he had with our agent - turns out she called him to talk to him about the places we were looking at and inquire about our financial situation - and he told her. I was so upset, thinking it is none of her business, that I called her and fired her.

Did I do the right thing? Is this normal?

The other thing, two weeks ago my banker asked me if I had any other credit cards outside HK (I am from Canada) and when I said no and agreed to sign a statement that I didn't, he said he already knew the anser b/c he ran a credit check on me. He never asked my permission to run the credit check. Is this right?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Canucker:
    Hi All,

I have a quick question I hope someone here might be able to answer for me.

My husband and I have been looking to buy a flat and have been looking at different ones with an agent who was recommended to us. When I went to the bank today to drop off a receipt they needed, the banker told me about a conversation he had with our agent - turns out she called him to talk to him about the places we were looking at and inquire about our financial situation - and he told her. I was so upset, thinking it is none of her business, that I called her and fired her.

Did I do the right thing? Is this normal?

The other thing, two weeks ago my banker asked me if I had any other credit cards outside HK (I am from Canada) and when I said no and agreed to sign a statement that I didn't, he said he already knew the anser b/c he ran a credit check on me. He never asked my permission to run the credit check. Is this right?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    Credit checks sounds pretty standard to me, they'd do the same in the UK.

I would complain to your bank's data protection officer about them disclosing your financial status to a real estate agent. You have probably signed something when you took the bank account which gives the bank to right to disclose certain information to other financial institutions when you have applied for some service from them. But there is no way that this permission extends to talking to real estate agents.

It's the bank I would have a gripe with more than the agent.

Last edited by PDLM; 22-03-2007 at 07:22 PM.

Absolutely. The bank is in serious violation of basic ethics and data protection ordinances if they discuss your details with an agent.

I'd escalate this.

Also, I'm not sure what bank you're with. It is rare that they run overseas credit checks on you (although your loan application probably has a clause where they can do extreme amounts of due diligence).

how can they tell a real estate agent about your financial situation. who allowed them... escalate this... it is a very serious matter.. can you tell me the bank.. i am feeling scared. one day someone will call and say dear sir you have this much in your bank account why dont you buy this new car ... grrrr

>> can you tell me the bank

Would advice against any "outings"... lots of secondary problems can arise from such accusations.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    >> can you tell me the bank

Would advice against any "outings"... lots of secondary problems can arise from such accusations.
    yes, i understand.

dude,
    suggest you to log a complaint atleast.

That is totally blowgus. Sorry for your situation.

Quote Originally Posted by srhatton:
    That is totally blowgus. Sorry for your situation.
    i don think here the bank is at fault. it can be the case that that employee was sharing the data with the reaal estate agent for his personal gains

Quote Originally Posted by funnie:
    i don think here the bank is at fault. it can be the case that that employee was sharing the data with the reaal estate agent for his personal gains
    That would make it even more blowgus but I bet it would be easier to isolate the issue and fight the individual rather than the bank.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast