Like Tree2Likes

Urgently seeking info on Valiant Park

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Urgently seeking info on Valiant Park

Hello everyone,

New to HK and to this forum, I am about to sign for a nice flat in Valiant Park. However, in order to get it at a lower price, I will be bound (no lease break) for 2 years...

Could you please give me your feedback on this place, especially:

1. Is it pleasant to live in (staff, convenience, etc.)?
    2. Is any work planned in this building or near this building in the next two years?
    3. Any other info you could share about it is very welcome!

Thanks a lot,
    Fred

No one can help me here? If not specific about Valiant Park, I'd be happy to have some info on work around Conduit Road. The other day, I visited the flat again (I signed for it, so I am doomed now...) and noticed construction work down on Robinson or Caine that you could hear all the way from the top floor of Valiant Park... Is the construction noise kinda constant in Central? A staple feature of Mid-Levels?

Other than that, I have a bunch of questions on other subjects as well, as I have NO clue about where to go nor whom to ask...

1. Is fiber optic internet available on Conduit? What company provides the fatest web access if no fiber? Who would you recommend?
    2. I have a roof top which I just love (the reason why I picked this place). Could you tell me who could build a wooden platform and a wooden door + deco to make this looks GREAT? Any idea of the cost of this kind of nicely refurbished roof?
    3. I would love to get some contemporary paintings/sculptures from LOCAL artists. Most galleries on Hollywood are selling gweilo art (at outrageous prices, on top of that). Could you recommend a local artist/gallery/street where I could find something original, HK-thought, at ok prices?

Just got here a couple of months ago, buried in work since then, and still kind of lost for subjects I used to feel so easy about back home...

Help is welcome, and thanks a lot for this cool forum which already gave me plenty of answers to other questions...

Fred

Construction and noise seems to go hand in hand with HK so unless you move out to the other side of the island you will have this as a constant friend (or enemy).

1. Can't help you here but many buildings are wired by brand and you might be limited to 1,2 or 3 different providers. Call up the main providers and see if they can service your building. You can even check on some websites online if you can get connection.
    2. Can't help you here either but please PM me the date and time for your first BBQ!
    3. Can't help you here either.

So in summing up, can't really help you!

fmv likes this.

Thanks Virago... even if you cannot help, it is nice of you to provide me with the first proof someone has actually read my thread ;-) As for the barbecue, it should be after rainy season... i'll think of a global invite for forum members ;-)) Have a good week-end!

Hi fmv,

I know this thread is a bit old. However, given the date of your post, I assume that you are still living at Valiant Park on Conduit Road?

We arrived in Hong Kong recently. My partner works in Central and so will I. Conduit Road seems to be residential while being relatively close to Central. We saw an apartment at Valiant Park which we both like - good size, configuration and within our budget. We would love to know how you find living in the building. Would you recommend it? I also note that there is a current construction site across the road from Valiant Park - is it quite noisy?

LBR

Valiant Park

Hi LBR,

You're lucky, for some reason I just checked my spam box, and found out you asked a question on this old thread. I guess you have not moved in yet.

I'm about to leave the building, being relocated to Singapore, so I can tell you, based on 2 year experience:

- Building staff is very nice, helpful, they know you very quickly, etc.
    - Building is rather clean, and the staff makes sure gargabe is emptied several times a day, floors mopped three times a week, elevators cleaned every day, etc.
    - It's as quiet as you'll get on Conduit (or anywhere in Mid-levels for that matter). If your windows are NOT facing the new construction, then you should be fine. It's the case with my flat, and I didn't hear the building being torn down. Just make sure you face the sea, not the mountain.
    - Location is ok. Short walk to escalator, lots of taxis driving by the entrance, and high on the hill with plenty of air and rather quiet. However, total lack of any store can be annoying. However, you're a 5 minute walk to Wellcome and Park & Shop on Conduit.
    - Swimming pool, you must pay for it every time you use it and, worse, it opens only 3 month a year - quite a shame considering the neighbours' pools are open about 5 months. Also, it's not the cleanest/nicest pool I've ever seen, meaning I barely used it at all.

The key reason why we chose VP is because of the size of the bedrooms, as we could actually walk around the beds in each room, which is sadly quite exceptional in HK... Also, we have the rooftop, which is nice.

I hope this helps, happy to address specific questions if you still have some.
    Best regards
    F

Quote Originally Posted by fmv:
    However, you're a 5 minute walk to Wellcome and Park & Shop on Conduit.
    I guess you mean on Robinson?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    I guess you mean on Robinson?
    You're right, that's what I meant :-) Thanks for correcting... and for reading the post ;-)

I lived in Valiant Park for almost 8 years, until 2009. I agree with all the comments.

The staff at the building were amazing, one guy used to watch me try to get a taxi some mornings then order one for me and try to pay the booking fee!! It can be a bit difficult with transport at peak times.

Very clean building.

Swimming pool nothing special but I didn't use it so wasn't bothered.

There was a lot of noise transfer between apartments.

Conduit Road is good because it doesn't have any heavy buses operating along it. I have lived on Robinson and Caine and found in those apartments (one building was next to a traffic light) that there was often a black oily film on things if I kept my roadside-facing windows open.

There was some bad leakage around the window frames and underneath the bay windows.

The toilet flushing water was often very brown and they seemed to have some issues with pipes/tanks, with a lot of tank cleaning scheduled (and therefore supply cuts).

Very convenient with the escalator at the end of the road, only a few minutes' walk away. There's a great Wellcome just off the elevator, one road down on Robinson.

Delivery people love the building as it's one of very few along that (narrow) road with a car bay off-road.

When I was there, I wasn't too bothered by building construction work but all too often people were renovating apartments and it was awful on those days I was home (luckily infrequently). Being an older block, people often do renovate completely, including tearing up floors.

All in all, I enjoyed my time there. I also really liked Grand Panorama on Robinson Road if you're looking there.

Hi FMV and Fiona in HKG,

Thank you for sharing your experience :-)

We are currently staying on Robinson Road and finding it quite noisy. Given our working arrangement, we want to stay around Mid-levels at least until the work situation changes. Quietness from early evening (7pm onwards) is valuable to us!!!

Yes we like the bedroom size which will fit a good size bed to accommodate Mr LBR's height. Being able to walk around the bed would certainly be a plus!

It's a shame about the swimming pool. We are both tragically keen scuba divers so will be getting our water fix in the ocean.

FMV - during the past couple of years, have you found similar issues in terms of water quality as mentioned in Fiona in HKG's experience few years back?

My only other question is about Internet connection. I am curious if Valiant Park is serviced by multiple Internet providers or just one? Which provider are you in contract with? And how have you found the experience with your current provider? Would you recommend it? Or suggest alternative providers? We need good Internet connection and don't really care about TV. (I don't watch TV and have not owned one for years).

Many thanks in advance for your helpful comments.

Cheers,
    LBR

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast