HK Island, south side

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK Island, south side

Anyone living on the south side? Is rush hour really bad through Aberdeen tunnel?

thanks

No not too bad. But it's faster at peak times not to use the tunnel, to go via that road that goes up on the mountain...

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    No not too bad. But it's faster at peak times not to use the tunnel, to go via that road that goes up on the mountain...
    Thanks... unfortunately I've decided to be carless in HK and have to rely on public transport.

public transport during peak hour is fine.

The Aberdeen tunnel will always be jammed from about 7:45am to 9am - bumper to bumper. Expect a min 45min commute from, say downtown Aberdeen to Central.

I used to just hate that tunnel in the morning....

Alternative is to take buses that take the Pok Fu Lam road. But the route is longer and takes about the same amount of time.

Good news (yes there is one for you) is that the tunnel is seldom jammed in the evening and you can cross the tunnel from Central in 30min after 7:30pm. Buses are usually slowed down in Wanchai / Happy valley, then it is a sprint to Aberdeen.

Quote Originally Posted by psampras88:
    The Aberdeen tunnel will always be jammed from about 7:45am to 9am - bumper to bumper. Expect a min 45min commute from, say downtown Aberdeen to Central.

I used to just hate that tunnel in the morning.....
    darn... will they like me ride a bicycle through the tunnel?

Quote Originally Posted by psampras88:

I used to just hate that tunnel in the morning....

Alternative is to take buses that take the Pok Fu Lam road. But the route is longer and takes about the same amount of time.

Good news (yes there is one for you) is that the tunnel is seldom jammed in the evening and you can cross the tunnel from Central in 30min after 7:30pm. Buses are usually slowed down in Wanchai / Happy valley, then it is a sprint to Aberdeen.
    I've never had the bumper to bumper thing in the morning. and it takes 45 minutes to central in non-rush hour traffic anyway!

Actually, the Aberdeen Tunnel gets really jammed during the evening rush hour. From about 7pm til 8pm it takes ages to get from Aberdeen to Central.

I haven't found commute to be too problematic during those hours. But then again, I was in London and NY before, so compared to there traffic here is easy breezy! If you want to avoid the tunnel, catch the 66 bus instead, it goes over it.

And I just wanted to add that riding a bicycle through the tunnel is suicide! Breathing fumes for that long will make you sick!

Traffic not too bad

I've been staying at Abeo in TinWan, Aberdeen, and it's been taking about 20-30minutes to get to Wanchai in the mornings leaving at 8 or 9am going through the Tunnel on a bus.
    If the bus was public and stopping a bit might take a bit more.

So not too bad!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast