My current landlord has sold my flat

Closed Thread

My current landlord has sold my flat

Hi guys,

My current landlord in HK has sold my flat 2 months before I'm due to move out. I was planning on moving out at the end of the tenancy. It all sounds rather suspicious - no one has ever been round to see the property, but my current landlord just emailed to say that when i move out i should seek my deposit of this new owner who i know nothing about.

What are the laws and rules regarding this? I already have a new flat to move into but i don't want my deposit to vanish.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by breakitdown:
    Hi guys,

My current landlord in HK has sold my flat 2 months before I'm due to move out. I was planning on moving out at the end of the tenancy. It all sounds rather suspicious - no one has ever been round to see the property, but my current landlord just emailed to say that when i move out i should seek my deposit of this new owner who i know nothing about.

What are the laws and rules regarding this? I already have a new flat to move into but i don't want my deposit to vanish.

Thanks!
    Ask your landlord for contact details of the new landlord. Try contacting him and enquire about your previous deposit, make sure he has it or else it'll be hard to chase the other landlord. So I assume rent will be paid to the new landlord from now on?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You need to make sure that your old landlord has transferred the deposit to the new landlord so you can get back the deposit from the new landlord.

Thanks for the reply.

Well it's all a bit unclear - I've emailed them asking if i can just leave early and get my deposit from them so let's wait and see. But it all sounds a bit out of the blue to me - not a word of it until now, and seems a bit suspicious to have come up now when i tell them i'm planning on leaving.

It is quite common. My flat was sold twice with me inside in the last three years, and I know a local guy who says he sometimes buys flats without inspecting them since the state of the flat apparently has little impact on the price. What should happen is that you'll receive a letter from the new owner's solicitor informing you about the transaction, about the transfer of the deposit, and the contact details and bank account number of the new landlord. Until then, do not make any payments (given that you'll move out in two month's and you have probably paid a two months deposit, you shouldn't pay rent anymore anyhow).

Thanks, Well i had already made my payment for next month. Which means there is 1 month outstanding to be paid. Yes i have a 2 month deposit with them. I also just sent my letter saying i was planning on leaving giving my 2 month notice. So all is above board.

I guess i just sit tight and wait and see what they say.

Very common and nothing to worry much about.

Buying without visiting a flat is a very common thing in HK. what counts is the sqft and building reputation/location, the rest is of little relevance.