Moving to Hong Kong in May -looking for suggestions on where to live

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to Hong Kong in May -looking for suggestions on where to live

Hi i will be moving to Hong Kong at the end of May and will be working in Central. I am single and my budget is between $30-40K. I'd prefer that the commute time is not more than 15-20 mins as I'd be required to stay in office for long hours. I'd really appreciate suggestions on what areas i should be considering? My company will be putting me in a serviced apartment for the fist month.

Central...

Mid-Levels

Escalator!

hi,

the best place to stay, is in mid level, your budget for the house was good enough...

You could look at Wan Chai (places around Star St) - v close to the MTR for 2 stops to Central. Midlevels is nice, but no MTR so you either have to walk (sweaty in summer) or catch a bus/taxi (bad traffic at times). Also, Sheung Wan or Soho (or border between the two) - some nice places not too far up the hill. All of which are close to Central, easy commute. Soho area is nicer because it's close to all the restaurants (but possibly noisier for same reason).

In my opinion, Star st is a wonderful location... It's near Admiralty so you can take the MTR in all directions. It has two excellent Supermarket nearby(Taste and Great) which is one of the downside of Mid-Levels, you are also walking distance to a mall with movie theatres, have easy access to all kinds of restaurants, also walking distance to a nice place to run(Bowen Rd) or hike and tennis courts 5 minutes away. It's also fairly quiet. There are two buildings with decent size flats you can look at...Star Crest(more expensive) and One. If you go right above those two buildings on Kennedy Rd, there's Monmouth Place and Royal Court.

Thanks a lot for all the feedback

Similar situation here - moving in HK in May and expect working long hours. Specific question - does anyone know of buildings that are new and have good western style kitchens etc. I am ok with smaller apartment overall (you pretty much have to be in HK), but hoping to find something thats new & modern.

Quote Originally Posted by dart07:
    Similar situation here - moving in HK in May and expect working long hours. Specific question - does anyone know of buildings that are new and have good western style kitchens etc. I am ok with smaller apartment overall (you pretty much have to be in HK), but hoping to find something thats new & modern.
    What do you mean by "western style kitchen"? Most kitchens in small places here have no oven (if that's what you meant), also "open plan" is quite rare, usually the kitchens are nasty pokey holes with their own door. So - if you mean "open plan with an oven" then I don't know of any (indeed, this is the main reason I live where I do, because I love my large open plan kitchen with fridge-freezer and oven!) but I think you might find that "specific building" is NOT the right way to search, more likely an older place renovated by an expat which you just have to seek out through agents.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast