Like Tree10Likes

Where to stay in Kowloon?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thanks again guys. However, even though I realize that I don't have any real knowledge about accommodation in HK, I also see that some of you might be overtly pessimistic. Just as drumbrake adviced, a place called the Nest is apparently offering service apartments in Mong Kok. I've seen some other places as well, such as Yesinn, City Loft and Studiostudio. All these places offers studios for approx 8k (even less in some cases). I don't know the quality of these places, but they look nice at pictures at least. Anybody else that can recommend serviced apartments?

And also, I didn't get any answer on my other question regarding whether it is possible to rent a normal apartment for 5 months - that is, not a serviced apartment?

Quote Originally Posted by cerdarius:
    Thanks again guys. However, even though I realize that I don't have any real knowledge about accommodation in HK, I also see that some of you might be overtly pessimistic. Just as drumbrake adviced, a place called the Nest is apparently offering service apartments in Mong Kok. I've seen some other places as well, such as Yesinn, City Loft and Studiostudio. All these places offers studios for approx 8k (even less in some cases). I don't know the quality of these places, but they look nice at pictures at least. Anybody else that can recommend serviced apartments?

And also, I didn't get any answer on my other question regarding whether it is possible to rent a normal apartment for 5 months - that is, not a serviced apartment?
    Oh dear. NEWBIE ALERT!

Sorry dear. You need to understand a few things about HK.

Rule #1 - the 8k appartments advertised by sites do NOT EXIST. Or perhaps there is one appartment in the whole complex and it's been booked for the last 15 years.
    Rule #2 - photos lie. I don't mean they take them from the best angle, I mean they CHANGE the photo to remove all sorts of things (like entire buildings) that spoil the view.

I wish you luck, I really do, but accomodation is VERY expensive in HK, for VERY small places and while there are always people who miraculously find the exception, it's VERY rare.

In answer to your other question, typical lease lengths are 2 years. There are exceptions but they are rare. A flat-share or a serviced appartment is the way to go for something shorter, yes.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 20-04-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    Ramdom likes this.

I just hope you don't think that these serviced apartments have a floor area of 250ft sq for a studio, or that they are "nice" by northern European standards. No, posters are not being pessimistic; we live here. Back in 1995 I was paying HKD6000 per month for a 150ft sq place in Wanchai, which is not nearly as nice an area as Kowloon Tong.
    The usual length for a standard lease here is 2 years, usually with a break clause after the first year.

cerdarius likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cerdarius:

I believe the places you've mentioned, except for the mongkok one, only has apartments on HK island not near Kowloon Tong which is your preference. I'm not sure which street the NEST is on exactly but Mongkok is very crowded, one of the most in the WORLD, and it's neighborhood with lots of night activities (if you know what i mean) If it's your 1st time to HK, MK could be a real culture shock.
    cerdarius likes this.

Yes it is posiible to get short term deals for normal apartment ..first piece of advice you can look onto craigslist hk or asia expat, easy roommoote if you would like flat share,..8000 is decent prize, (but less than this would be very difficult) and you would get it very easily...Mongkok is very crowded area, max dansity of people in world, so before getiing in there just mind this thing...you cn look in New terriroires..
    Good luck..

cerdarius likes this.

The Nest is not a serviced apartment. It is a hostel / guesthouse which also caters for medium term guests - so it has a small shared kitchen for example. Yesinn is similar. While both are ok, you will have a mixture of short term guests - staying just a night or two as they pass through the city and longer term ones who stay several weeks or months. the quality of your stay will depend to some extent on who is staying at the same time as you.

cerdarius likes this.

Hi all
    You guys are mentioning to look in NT to rent housing is it so much cheaper there? What are about the prices there?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sjiki:
    Hi all
    You guys are mentioning to look in NT to rent housing is it so much cheaper there? What are about the prices there?
    Thanks
    NT is a big place. Prices vary by size and kind of property. Impossible question to answer without more info!

Hi, thanks for your reply
    I was thinking for ma on shan or shatin area (apartment 400ft)

Also, please tell what a smaller apartment, around 175-200 sq ft, would cost in the same area.