Like Tree6Likes

accuracy of gohome.com.hk

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

accuracy of gohome.com.hk

i was wondering if the prices in this site were correct..

it kinda seems like they put the prices cheaper than wat ppl on these forums been saying..

anyone actually compared the actual prices and the ones on the site?? thanks

yeah. When u call they say its not updated, which I think is nonsense coz there is a date mentioned when the ad was posted.

I would just call and say I would like to see this flat that was posted today for this price.

take it ALL with a pound of salt. i've been calling around myself. out of over 10 agents i called who had listings on that site, NONE had that flat "still available"....

I "found" a very nice apartment on that site. When I called I was told it had been sold already. 3 months later was looking for apartments, and guess what the same apartment is still listed. Very annoying.

The agencies/agents use the site as a source of free advertising than to post up-to-date availability. Also the listing posted on their window shops are not accurate either, it used mostly to lure people to ask them questions, etc.

TheBrit likes this.

damn thats exactly what ive been concerned about.. everything was too good to be true.. damn false advertising

I've recently been looking for an apartment and while the price on gohome is way lower than what the agents come back with, I've been able to then negotiate lower prices with landlords by around 10% at least. Depending on the area, there are some good deals out there.

For e.g. apartment on gohome says 40, agent says that one has gone but they have a similar place for 43, offer 37, agree 39.

In my experience there's room to negotiate on price as there is a lot of supply coming on line (I'm talking about kowloon side in particular)

Last edited by limepickle; 09-05-2011 at 01:10 PM.

Although I believe this is slowly changing, there is no equivalent to the UK property misdescriptions act here. I worked briefly as an estate agent in the UK and you cannot do half of the stuff they do here, photoshopping pictures, exagerrating floor size, views, offering to the market properties you haven't taken instructions on, offering low prices that don't exist.

Unless it's just me, these practices must be counter productive. I get pissed off at having wasted my time and either won't do business with them because of that or, I actually simply physically run out of time and get nothing done!!

My advice when house hunting is this:

Get in a car and go look at the areas you like.
    Get a map and write down the names of the estates you like the look of and the street names.
    Go into each agency, walk in that is! Take a local if you can.

Do not use expat agencies as they will charge you like hell for nothing.

Do not go through the developer, they will overcharge you also - Gold Coast springs to mind, 12500 from the management, 10000 or less privately for rentals.

Before signing anything, go to the house on different times of the week at different times, example, villages that look peaceful during the day might be plagued by barking dogs at night. In our village they have drumming practice in the main carpark until midnight on a Thursday for example....drives me nuts. Old a/c will cost you an arm and a leg to run. Demand netting for mosquitos on low rise....but I digress!

I found what I think is a good deal by a similar route to the above suggestion. Looked at a couple of areas to se if they fitted my needs, then approached an agent a clear list of what I was looking for and how much I wanted to pay. Found 2 or 3 I liked, went back again without the agent to check out the area/transport etc and tehn did the deal.

FWIW I found my apartmetn in the shop window of a local agency - all done and dusted in 2 days and happy as a pig in poo there!

Take everything with a pinch of salt. Agents will often put up listings to attract customers that are not real. On the other hand, many of the people on this forum are expats and rent in 'expat' areas through 'expat' agents and are therefore paying significantly higher rentals than they might otherwise.

The truth is out there somewhere. As bryant.english suggests, you need to get out there to find it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast