Moving from NY to HK, need apartment advice

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Are you moving all your furniture and belongings? By sea or by air? That seems to be a high price but I guess it depends on how much stuff you have and how quickly you want them.

We haven't even gotten this far yet so don't know what's a reasonable price. We also will not move all our furniture over, planning to rent our apartment here out furnished.

have you been to hk before?
    do you know if/what your housing allowance is?

i think that you should not necessarily move everything you own here. it may not fit into the smaller sized flats...also keep in mind that electricity runs on different volts, so you'd need to get converters/transformers for anything electrical. also, the tv's and dvd's are different codes/systems so you may not be able to watch everything you want to here if you are planning on bringing that stuff with you...i'd buy much of it here.

good luck with the move!

Try HarborView Horizon in Kowloon- nice, brand new 1 br is hk$9,000. Outdoor pool and decent gym. Hotel like setup. Minibuses run from tst to lobby every 20 min, or it is a hk$25 cab ride to the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station. Also a convenient 10 min walk to the Hong Hum Star Ferry terminal, which runs every 15 min to the central pier. Commute time to Central is 30-40 minutes.

I moved from NY about 6 weeks ago, feel lucky to have found this place through a coworker

Quote Originally Posted by bxu:
    Are you moving all your furniture and belongings? By sea or by air? That seems to be a high price but I guess it depends on how much stuff you have and how quickly you want them.

We haven't even gotten this far yet so don't know what's a reasonable price. We also will not move all our furniture over, planning to rent our apartment here out furnished.
    yeah moving a bit of furniture including couch coffee table, bed, dining set etc... it isn't cheap but someone on geoexpat said Allied Movers is the best. Also considering it costed us about 2500 to move from LA to NY... it wasn't too much of a sticker shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Njohnson:
    Try HarborView Horizon in Kowloon- nice, brand new 1 br is hk$9,000. Outdoor pool and decent gym. Hotel like setup. Minibuses run from tst to lobby every 20 min, or it is a hk$25 cab ride to the Tsim Sha Tsui MTR station. Also a convenient 10 min walk to the Hong Hum Star Ferry terminal, which runs every 15 min to the central pier. Commute time to Central is 30-40 minutes.

I moved from NY about 6 weeks ago, feel lucky to have found this place through a coworker
    this place sounds great. does Harborview Horizon have a website or something? also are there bigger units available? Sorry i'm also kinda trying to find as much info as possible - hope I'm not stepping on your toes BXU :-)

Quote Originally Posted by goleoboy:
    this place sounds great. does Harborview Horizon have a website or something? also are there bigger units available? Sorry i'm also kinda trying to find as much info as possible - hope I'm not stepping on your toes BXU :-)

Of course not, that's what a forum is all about right? I'm glad you asked the question, cuz I'd like to find out more about Harborview too!

The web info is now as good as it should be actaully- you can see some comparison online to the development they have in Tolo Harbor, which is farther out, but there is nothing really on there for the Kowloon site, which is weird..

v. nice place though, would reccomend looking into it, their hotline is +852 3157 8888. I'm sure they can mail you some materials or let you know how to better see what's available

The name of the Development group is Horizon Hotels & Suites Limited

meant to include url to Tolo Harbor/general page

http://www.horizonsuitehotel.com/eng/index.html

gonna be staying there the first month when i move back in Aug while we look for a permanent place. i'm really worried about the furniture. have a queen size bed, planning to ship out there. but are queen size mattresses in HK the same size as the u.S.?