Recommended Service or Furnished apartments in Kowloon Bay and Other places like Habourview Horizon?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Recommended Service or Furnished apartments in Kowloon Bay and Other places like Habourview Horizon?

Hi, my husband and I are moving to Hong Kong at the end of summer. His office is at Leighton Road Causeway Bay and we are looking to find accomodation. I've only been to HK once and I'm not familiar with the area... It's just the 2 of us and we are prepared to stay at least for 2 years (but not limited to), we arn't crazy about hectic city life and we don't need to be near to the nightlife - we prefer heading out to the beaches/hills etc for recreation so we were thinking of staying somewhere around Kowloon Bay. (its really the only place in my HK suburb vocabulary so please accept my apologies).

He doesn't mind traveling 20-30 minutes to arrive at work. We were recommended Harbourview Horizon. Are there any other places of similar location/style and price? Near to food, supermarket, convenient, an entertainment center or mall? Budget is 14000HKD inclusive of electricity and broadband but of course we would love to spend even less than that. 1 or 2 bedroom will be good. Security is necessary and gym & pool would be preferred.

Are there any other recommendations for extended stay/ service apartments or furnished apartments? And areas I should be willing to consider?

If you are going to be here for at least 2 years, you should really look at a place of your own instead of Service and/or Furnished; you will better off financially.

If hubby is working in CWB, living in Kowloon Bay makes very little sense unless you cant find anything within your budget. Even then, why Kowloon Bay? There are much better alternatives.

My suggesiton : stay on the island, and try to stick within the MTR line. As your budget is a bit on the low side for the island, I would look at the ends. Look in SheungWan and ChaiWan for flats within your budget.

HC

I should add, when I said Kowloon Bay, I was referring to Tsim Tsa Tsui... or areas along the MTR line with good links to Causeway Bay.

It will be a bit of a squeeze for the MTR. Also note that Harbourview Horizon is in Hung Hom and not TST. He would have to catch the free bus and then the MTR. It would take him about 30-40 minutes to get to work. Not ideal.

$14k is on the low side for H/View but there is a possibility to get this but no guarantee. There was another thread just on this very thing today so check it out.

Any thoughts about Park Island?

Check out Jordan, Prince Edward and Mong Kok area? I think there are many choices.
    There is a tab for service apartments on GE's site. Scroll all the way up. You can try to list your criterias and the svc apartments managers will reply if it matches.

I agree with Howard. Try Kennedy Town. It's cheaper and tram to CWB is convenient I think.

If your husband works in Causeway bay then no point living in Kowloon.
    14K budget maybe: Taikoo, Tin Hau, Quarry Bay, Tseung Kwan O - all on the the MTR 15 - 35 mins range
    or
    Cloud view Road, Tai Hang Road - short bus away.

Last edited by bak875; 19-05-2011 at 11:09 AM.

if your preference is for open space and not so crowded, you should look for more around the MTR Tung Chung line - personally I think apartments over at Olympic Station and Tsing Yi station are good value. I used to travel back/forth to Quarry Bay to work (a few more stations further than CWB) from Tsing Yi - traveling is about 45 minutes. Olympic station apartments rental will be much higher, they are 2-3 stations closer than Tsing Yi.

Rental price is reasonable, has gone up a bit since I was there, the price is about HK$22-$23 psf - bear in mind the apartment over in HK is much smaller than those you will find in UK or Oz. Most of the modern apartment building has their own club house with pools and gym.

With your budget, I think you can get 2-bdrm apartment in Tsing Yi, broadband internet is cheap relatively speaking, electricity in HK I found them acceptable, depends on your usage I supposed....

Oh Park Island - it's a good place but I don't like the transportation, you basically take the MTR and get off at Tsing Yi station and then take the Park Island Shuttle bus (10 minutes). I think they also has a ferry from Central to Park Island (45 minutes - I think) A colleague of mine used to live for a year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast