Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By virago

Village houses

Closed Thread

Village houses

I'm thinking of buying a village house in Shatin area.

Anyone has any feedback on the process on buying a village house? I read some tips and it seems more nightmarish to buy a village house than an apartment due to all the problems linked to one...

Renovations and upkeeping is also another big problem... But all the space and living quality is so attractive to me...

Any recommendations of agents would be great.

If you own one and would like to sell it, let me know too.

Thanks!

Take a look at yesterday's scmp property section. Good article on village housing.

Make sure the village is 'westerner' friendly since not all of them are.

Each village has a 'village head' who in effect controls things such as parking and any disputes. He's the go to guy and it's better to use him than get say the police involved.

Go to the usual property agencies in ShaTin, Centaline etc etc and they should have them listed. Agencies are pretty much all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by appleseed:
    I'm thinking of buying a village house in Shatin area.

Anyone has any feedback on the process on buying a village house? I read some tips and it seems more nightmarish to buy a village house than an apartment due to all the problems linked to one...

Renovations and upkeeping is also another big problem... But all the space and living quality is so attractive to me...

Any recommendations of agents would be great.

If you own one and would like to sell it, let me know too.

Thanks!
    Also - get a solicitor who is specialized in Village House transactions. Legal issues are slighly different than with other property transactions.

Thanks ppl... Great information... I'll try to locate the scmp article...

Welcome any information if anyone has any to add on...

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Make sure the village is 'westerner' friendly since not all of them are.

Each village has a 'village head' who in effect controls things such as parking and any disputes. He's the go to guy and it's better to use him than get say the police involved.

Go to the usual property agencies in ShaTin, Centaline etc etc and they should have them listed. Agencies are pretty much all the same.
    And probably uses his position to create some side income.
    That's why foreigners are not always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Morrison:
    And probably uses his position to create some side income.
    That's why foreigners are not always welcome.
    Wow... Morrison, really? This is so different... Back home there is no such thing as village head...

Quote Originally Posted by appleseed:
    Wow... Morrison, really? This is so different... Back home there is no such thing as village head...
    In Australia we call him the Prime Minister!
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    In Australia we call him the Prime Minister!
    I looked at this, but decided against it. Getting clear title can be a problem. Paying off the village head can be a problem. Sometimes the gardens that accompany the house are not official title and can be taken away. The carpark you have may not actually be on private land and again could be taken away. Due to these, and other issues, banks are also not as willing to lend.

And all of these issues can also make it harder to sell.

If you are here long term, and if you can really sort out all the above issues it might be OK, otherwise, I would suggest you are better off buying an apartment (as investment) and then renting the house if you really want to live there.