Like Tree2Likes

wife working on western side of HK Island is disco bay too far to commute ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

wife working on western side of HK Island is disco bay too far to commute ?

Hello all and thanks in advance for your advice,

After spending three days narrowing down choices on where to live I've just found out my wifes workplace is NOT near Pok fu lam but on the other side of the island.

So I am thinking that discovery Bay would be too far to commute - correct ?

She is working at Shau Kei Wan at a school there.

So my questions are....

1) Would discovery Bay be too far to commute - do the ferries travel from there to the other side ?

2) Our budget is about $25 000 per month. Would Kowloon be a good option ?

3) We have a one year old so partying every night isn't really a priority anymore. I will probably be working on Hong Kong Island too and were used to commuting up to 45 mins in London so dont mind something similar.

Thanks very much everyone.

What other criteria do you have?

Somewhere in the east of Kowloon or perhaps Sai Kung might suit.

Or indeed near Shau Kei Wan.

Whats wrong with living in Shau Kei Wan or SaiWanHo or ChaiWan or SiuSaiWan which are all close for her.

If you let us know any other criteria (where do you work, kids?, schools?) then we might be able to offer better suggestions.

In absence of anything else, if you have to work in SKW, living in DB would be quite sucky as its a helluva commute.

HC

Football16 likes this.

If you think Shau Kei Wan is on the western end of HK Island then I suggest you need a course in map-reading.

yeah, shau kei wan is the eastern side of hk island. i would NOT suggest DB. the commute would be well over an hour... i would suggest: Tseung Kwan O, Clearwater Bay, Sai Kung (side nearer to Clearwater Bay), or the areas that HOWARD COOMBS suggested.

Smile

thanks a lot for this guys.

she is working at kellets school (the high school)

we would be after something fairly low (not to keen on being up very high) maybe a village house if we could afford one.

it would be nice to be able to catch a ferry but it looks like driving from clearwater bay might be easy enough.

i guess the main thing is the commute is not more than 45 mins for her so I agree Sai kung could be too far.

Oh and we have two cats and are not sure what to do with them - are they allowed in high rises or does it vary ?

we thought we might get more for our money away from Shau Kei Wan

whoops thanks for that PDLM !

If you're contemplating driving you might want to confirm that she has a place to park at the school.

Football16 likes this.

your best bet would be to drive from clearwater bay or sai kung to hang hau (park'n'ride) and then take the mtr to the shau kei wan. it would be a 10-15 minute drive to hang hau from sai kung and then a 20-30 minute commute on the mtr.

thanks for the carpark tip pdlm and carang we do like the idea of sai kung but was put off by the commute - good idea re the park n ride though that could be ok I think, ill just see if hang hau is direct and no changes

would she get a seat on the train ?

England is a bit s**t for seats on trains !

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast