Where to Stay if Kids go to SIS ???

Question Where to Stay if Kids go to SIS ???

Hi,

We would be moving to HK in Sept and would enroll our kids (4 and 6) in the Singapore International School.

I will not be working for the 1st year but intend to find a job in the next when we settle in. My husband will be working in China (going in and out weekly).

I would like advise on where is the most convenient place to stay for such a family. My budget for housing is around HK30K.

I would need 3 rooms (as my parents will be coming and going from Singapore).

Any advise on what to do when I am not working would also be appreciated.

I posted earlier but no replies and I am trying my luck again.

Hi Salex,

Sorry I must have missed your earlier msg.

Singapore International in Aberdeen, so you have 2 options either live on the South side - Pok Fu Lam/ Deep Water Bay or the East Side - Happy Valley. As your husband frequent;y travels to China Happy Valley might more be suitable - closer to the MTR and he can even take a taxi to Hung Hom Station.

HTH.

Rani

Someone mentioned South Horizon before for family that has children going to SIS. Not sure how it is and if the community is suitable for your situation (ie singaporean and husband having to go to China often).

Anyone care to comment ?

South Horizons is a nice complex but everytime we're there I just find it very busy and overcrowded. The 3 bedroom flats aren't spacious and start from $12-18K. As your housing allowance is higher also take a look at the Bayshore Apartments and the Waterfront in Aberdeen.

Talking International school

As for the School, I am not sure.
    SIS should be good (since you are from Singapore) but it only provides up to Primary 6 education. If you stay longer than that, you would have to go to another school.

What does the forum has to recommend on international school? The other one that is quite "famous" is HKIS but I believe it is the American standard.

HKIS is the American standard... If you'd prefer an alternative, look into the ESF (English School Foudation). Quarry Bay School in Braemar Hill (North Point) is an excellent choice, while South Island School in Aberdeen will prove pretty good from 7th grade onwards. Having attended both schools I can speak pretty highly of them. In the event you're undecided there is always the option of visiting them once you arrive in Hong Kong and possibly even transfer at a later date. Hope this helps.

Best,

Ajay

For kids from US

Which schools in HK would you recommend for kids (one will be in 9th grade and the other in 7th) from the US? One consideration to make is that we will be working in Shenzhen, China, and will commute to HK.

Does anyone has comments on schooling on the other side of the boarder, e.g. in Shenzhen?

BTW, we are considering of moving to that region from the US.

Thanks a lot.

SIS, singaporean inter, is quite good and well- rounded, but as the other member mentioned, provides elementary education only..
    the 2 IS' i'd definitely recommend ppl checking out are CIS (chinese international school) and german swiss, the former: excellent facility/ curriculum/ n the students
    have strong moral values and the later: students have strong moral values + gd kids there!!

SIS to start secondary school

According to my understanding, SIS is starting a secondary school this year to address the continuing education issue.

even if you live away from wong chuk hang where SIS is they would have student bus service to pick up your child and bus mothers for the young kids to watch them on the trip to and from school.