Harbour Green Vs. Metro Harbourview

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by lindseyk:
    KyoPo - with regard to Island Harbourview, how safe does the area feel to you? You said it's a quiet area away from the busy streets - would it feel sketchy at night? And is there a supermarket nearby?
    It's VERY safe, trust me. Basically from what I heard, Olympic area is pretty much a decent area and I've seen nothing but pleasing crowds.

Keep in mind that Hong Kong is one of the safest place in SE Asia so you don't really have to worry too much.

I think there are quite a few supermarket in Olympic Mall, and it's within 5 to 10 minutes walking distance. I really dig Island Harbourview, unfortunately, it's out of my range when it comes to rental fees. (16k to 19k, though the agent offered me 17k)

I've seen quite a few apartments with a few different agent, though there's this lady she seems pretty nice, not pushy and quite fair. Her name is Allison Lai from Ricacrop Properties. I would strongly recommend her to you. (it's right across from Island Harbourview, right inside the mall on Ground Level)

Though avoid Corolla Li from 18 Property. Not only she's a little pushy, but all the flats she offered me for viewing isn't cheap at all (at least 2k - 3k more than other agents)

There's also Century 21 near MHV called Raymond (though I don't know where Century 21 is located as I just called the listing and he met me outside of the lobby of MHV) and he's pretty a decent guy too. In fact, the cheapest offering for The Hermitage is from him--14k for a low-floored studio)

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by lionrock88:
    I live right next to Victoria Park on the CWB side and it's just as crowded as other parts of CWB, especially on a Sunday. But the Vic Park view is pretty cool if you can get it.

I absolutely love living here. I love being in the middle of everything and the convenience of being able to get nearly anything I want in less than 5 mins or at odd hours of the night.

Residential buildings here tend to be pretty old (30-40+ years) but the efficiency is very good. You get a lot of space for your buck.

The best thing is that they have Wellcome supermarket which opens 24 hrs. So yeah it's really convienent! Though I still felt settling with an extremely old flats for around at least 15k is ridiculously expensive for my taste!

Anyhow, I finally settle with a place in Wanchai at last.

care to share your accomodation @ wanchai? how's the rental like for how many sqft? furnished?

Quote Originally Posted by KyoPo:
    The best thing is that they have Wellcome supermarket which opens 24 hrs. So yeah it's really convienent! Though I still felt settling with an extremely old flats for around at least 15k is ridiculously expensive for my taste!

Anyhow, I finally settle with a place in Wanchai at last.

Quote Originally Posted by quessie:
    care to share your accomodation @ wanchai? how's the rental like for how many sqft? furnished?

It's an old building, but it's seem like a great deal (no walk ups) 1200 for 650 square feet + furnished

sounds like a good deal! how much did u pay for rent??
    at most i m willing to fork 12-13K... not possible to get a 650 furnished one in wanchai i suppose...

It's an old building, but it's seem like a great deal (no walk ups) 1200 for 650 square feet + furnished

Hi - a few years on I know... but I was wondering where you ended up renting in the end? I'm currently looking through these options myself so am interested in what happened in the end with your search and how it turn out for you.

I've heard you've to pay for the clubhouse facilities from the agent. Though it does sound ridiculous to me.

Thanks bdw, btw!

Anyhow, I spent a few hours looking into the following apartments near Olympic station:

Metro Harbour View:

- Asking price is between 11500 (mid-floor 15th, dirty, unfurnished) to 14800 (fully furnished, but high floor - 40th)
    - Two small bedrooms (one of the room you can't even put a twin bed, but single!) appliances are a bit old though it really depends on how previous tenants managed to use them with great care.
    - Buildings are mostly 8 years old.
    - I honestly felt this place is VERY inconvenient as you probably have to walk for at least around 20 minutes to nearby MTR station (correct me if I'm wrong)
    - There's almost no good views no matter how high you reside.
    - Extremely small balcony. You have to really watch out for your privacy cuz when I checked out the mini-balconies (some suites have two) I can see the next suite's living room. So no hotchy-kotchy without proper curtains or blinds! (forget about sheer curtains!)
    - Clubhouse facilities are okay, but not really appealing.
    - The watch(wo)man seem to have a hard time communicating with foreigners. There's a foreign lady got super pissed of one of the watchwoman, claiming that she was being rude to her and made a HUGE scene. Though I really thought it's all about miscommunication, oh well.
    - If you want to walk through the passage bridge to the Mall entrance, it's gonna be a hot, sweaty journey as it's not covered as compared to the ones closer to the Olympic Mall.

The Hermitage

- Super fancy, bling-bling decor everywhere as everywhere looks golden but too flashy for my taste! (I almost thought I was in Dubai, seriously). The agent told me that the design has to do with aiming for mainland Chinese buyers, so it's no wonder.
    - Since I'm looking to live all by myself, I only viewed a few studios with this one. VERY high ceiling but VERY small space (mostly 499 s.f.).
    - Extremely secured building, and the security seems to do a good job of making sure all the guests are legit.
    - Clubhouse is very fancy but I've heard they haven't built them all yet. It has to do with the slow sales and it might be back on track soon. Most facilities are free of charge because of this.
    - Now, when it comes to appliances, I have to say this one is top-notch. From shower to kitchen appliances are brandnew (of course as it completed just this March). For sure you'll be the first tenant so that's all good. That's what I really like about this place.
    - VERY VERY high ceiling! One of the highlight of this place!
    - The downside is the layout again. Even though they have nice kitchen wares, but they "split" them into two different areas! The oven, fridge, washer, etc... are on one side of the wall and right across from it, there's water tub for washing! One of the most ridiculous layout I've ever seen!
    - Lastly, of course the price, it ain't cheap as it cost roughly between 16000 (12 floor) to 19000 (19th) just for 399 square feet (non-negotiated price). The building is also one of the tallest of this area as the highest floor is 80th!
    - Location wise, it's not that bad as it's closer to phase 3 of Olympic Mall. The shops are better as compared to phase 2 and 1. Though the walking distance might take 10 minutes to Olympic MTR. Since everything is airconditioned, the walk isn't entirely torturing.

Island Harbourview

- This is the place that I love the most among the three. Location wise, size, price, everything seems right to me.
    - The best part of this apartment, though it has already been 10 years old, doesn't look that old to begin with! (the lobby, concierge, pool, and layout)
    - It's one of the closest to MTR as it only takes 5 minutes walk to "get to" the inside of the station.
    - The view is marvelous. I mean you don't get oceanview with the price that i quote: 17000 (27th floor) 17800 (29th floor) but you at least get the indoor swimming pool view. I thought it look quite lovely at night.
    - The layout seems quite well-planned, and all two bedroom suites. Though one of the room is still rather small but not as small as compared to MHV. Appliances are satisfactory. The windows are wide enough and there's a small countertop where you can put stuff on it, perfect to put a bed right next to it.
    - I still feel it's a little expensive to rent for a 609 sq ft. Though I might still give this place a shot.
    - Didn't visit the clubhouse but the pool seems really nice (outdoor).
    - The best part of this building is that it's quiet. Since most major streets are far away from the building of this area.

Anyhow, that's it for now. I'll gonna checkout CWB tomorrow!

Oh btw, I still haven't negotiated with the above pricing, but most agents told me that they can reduce "few" hundred bucks (500 max), which I felt pointless. (By the way, how much will the agent lower the rent based on your past experience? Tips needed)

Hopefully this will help others who're planning to rent in these areas.