Like Tree3Likes

Ferry rides to Central

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ferry rides to Central

I'm moving to HK tomorrow and gotta look around the houses.

I received quite a great amount of help from the forums so thanks yall once again.

Im eyeing Park Island and Discovery Bay and because I work in Central, I wanted to take ferries each morning.

Here's the question. How often do the ferries fail to run? (e.g. weather). If so, are there adequate alternative solutions? I heard there are bus rides, but I'm sure amongst the chaos during peak hour, that i could be quite late to work, no? It's a real push for me to be late to work coz each minute = money..

I mean it be great if the ferry operators inform you the previous night that ferries are unlikely to operate the next day.. in which case I can get up earlier. Are there such procedures?

Once again, thanks for the help

HK has one of the best transport systems in the world. It would be very rare for the ferries not to be on time or not run. Only time it wouldn't run is in a Typhoon but not sure of the category that it would need to be.

If you are worried about getting to work on time then I suggest to live close to work!

ehhh I dun wanna live close to work..

Never taken a ferry to work before so just wanted to know the different alternatives and how it goes down when the ferry cant go.

Skyhook likes this.

I'm in DB and take the ferry over to Central every weekday morning....never been late. The only time I had a problem getting to work was after a typhoon as the signals didn't come down until about 10am and then it took them about 45 mins to an hour to get the ferries back in action (crews don't live over in DB).

There are sometimes problems with the garbage in the harbour being sucked into the water intake vents but they never take more than a few minutes to clear it and they always seem able to make up the time.

You are transported in airconditioned comfort with wifi on board on a 25-minute journey.

I give them 10 out of 10 for sticking to schedules, being reliable and offering an excellent service.

illread and ragrawal like this.

wifi and air conditioning? now thats wat im talking about lol

thanks for that.. i wonder if the ferries in PI are the same...

Wifi and aircon, yes. But even normal buses here in HK have free wifi and aircon as well (look for the WEBUS logo on some buses). So its nothing special. Also, the DB ferry now costs over $30 for a one way trip. They just jacked up the price last week, the second price hike in as many years. DB residents are flocking to the sunny bay bus more and more and overloading the buses. Also, the frequency of the ferry was reduced a few years ago. Initially this caused some problems with overcrowding in the peak hours, but they easily fixed this by jacking up the prices so less people took the ferry and changed to buses. Now you have higher prices and reduced service.

DB ferry has to be about the most expensive mode of transport in all of HK. It may not seem like a lot when you convert it back into your local currency, but most people would normally only spend $4 - $15 one way for a bus/train ride.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Only time it wouldn't run is in a Typhoon but not sure of the category that it would need to be.
    Its usually T3 when ferries shut down but since DB and PI are both accessible by land so even if the ferries stop, home can always be reached by BUS.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    Its usually T3 when ferries shut down but since DB and PI are both accessible by land so even if the ferries stop, home can always be reached by BUS.
    But then T4 is when people can go home from work? So they can't take the ferry then?

no, ferries do not shut down for T3... they DO shut down for T8. but there is usually an announcement of when the last ferry will be.

the other thing to note is that if your boss knows you live in db, they will make allowances for you to get to work asap as soon as the ferries start running again.

would take the DB ferry ride as one of the best ways to commute. clean, comfortable (but ocassionally too cold!), punctual... although not particularly cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    But then T4 is when people can go home from work? So they can't take the ferry then?
    There is no T4. The level after T3 is T8. For explanation of the signalling system, see here -
    http://www.hko.gov.hk/publica/gen_pub/tcws.pdf

At T3, kindergartens close. At T8, all schools close and most offices let their staff go home. But all the staff of all the offices leaving at the same time mean huge lines at bus stops and crazy crowded subways. For typical closure / response to various signals, see here -
    Related Advisory Information from Bureaux and Departments

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast