Serviced accommodation options in Central/Mid-Levels

Closed Thread

Serviced accommodation options in Central/Mid-Levels

Hi,

I'm moving to Hong Kong in August and have been given the following options for temporary accommodation. Just wondering if any of you have any experience living at these properties, or nearby.

What I'm looking for - my biggest pet peeve is loud street noise at night. That said, I also like to be close to home after a night out. So I prefer the hard-to-find quiet streets near the busy bar/restaurant areas (I know, that's a lot to ask for!!). Also, I'll be working in Central, and have a feeling I'll be starting early and ending late, so an easy commute would be nice, too. Lastly, it would be nice if there is a gym nearby.

Options:
    1) Central 88 (No. 88 Des Voeux Road, Central) - looks like it is the corner of Des Voeux / Jubiliee, in front of The Center (what is that?!)

2) Hanlun Habitats - The Orchid (No. 22 Mosque Street, Mid-Levels) - looks like it is between Caine and Robinson Road

3) The SoHo (69 Hollywood Road, Central) - between Queen's Road Central and Hollywood Road. Ideally I would like this because it provides the most space and is a one bedroom vs the others which is a studio, but if Hollywood Road is super noisy then unless I can request a unit that doesn't face the street, maybe it would be better to stay elsewhere. Would Peel Street be quieter?

Also, when thinking about finding my own place, is it possible to get a serviced or furnished apartment in the Central/Mid-Level area with a budget around HK$16,000/month? To get a furnished apartment, can you go month by month or do you have to sign up for a lease? I don't know exactly how long I will be in Hong Kong for at this point...

And in terms of transportation - if I were to live further away from the office, I don't mind but I prefer reliable transportation at all hours of the day. How hard is it to find a cab at 2am from SoHo or Central? How late do trams, buses, ferries, etc run?

You all have been sooo much help already! I was really apprehensive about this move, but thanks to all your responses to others' questions, I am getting pretty excited!

Thanks,
    L

Last edited by lindseyk; 11-06-2011 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lindseyk:
    Hi,
    Options:
    1) Central 88 (No. 88 Des Voeux Road, Central) - looks like it is the corner of Des Voeux / Jubiliee, in front of The Center (what is that?!)

2) Hanlun Habitats - The Orchid (No. 22 Mosque Street, Mid-Levels) - looks like it is between Caine and Robinson Road

3) The SoHo (69 Hollywood Road, Central) - between Queen's Road Central and Hollywood Road. Ideally I would like this because it provides the most space and is a one bedroom vs the others which is a studio, but if Hollywood Road is super noisy then unless I can request a unit that doesn't face the street, maybe it would be better to stay elsewhere. Would Peel Street be quieter?
    I have not stayed in any of these serviced apartments but based on location and what you are looking for, #2 Hanlun Habitats seems to fit the bill quite well.

Mosque Street is a relatively quiet residential street and is just a quick walk to Robinson Rd or Caine Rd where there are tons of public transportation options to Central. It's also a quick 5 mins taxi ride from LKF, one of the main nightlife areas.

Des Voeux Road is one of the busiest streets in HK and if you don't like loud street noise at night, living here will drive you crazy.

That part of Hollywood Rd where the SoHo is, is nowhere near as noisy as Des Voeux Road. But it still has significantly more traffic than Mosque Street and is right next to Soho and just a few minutes walk from LKF, so it can also get a bit noisy at night.

Commute/Transportation

Thanks!

When you say there are tons of public transportation options - like what? And how long would you say the commute is from Robinson/Caine to IFC?

Also - I guess my concern is, having lived in NYC and London, that finding a cab in those cities at 8:30 am or 2am is a nightmare! So even if it's a "quick 5 minute ride from LKF," how long does it take to actually get that cab?!

Thanks again - this has been helpful.

From mosque st u can take the escalator to work and a taxi to return at 2am as the escalator closes by mid night/0.30

2 am should be no problem but 8.30 am might be more difficult.

Yes - Hanlun Habitat to IFC is up and down the Central Mid-Levels Escalator - no buses/taxis needed. The escalator runs downhill 6-10am and then uphill 10:30-midnight(ish). Walking up from LKF to Hanlun Habitats takes less than 15 minutes anyway, and from SoHo only 5-10 (although it's uphill, so you'd get a bit sweaty in summer, but if you're going home anyway that may be no big deal).

Hi,

it is a challenge looking for the service apartment with that budget at Halun and you are likely to spend more than that (depends on the size of the place etc). Good to check it out online.

Thanks all!

I just spoke to the shipping company, and am now thinking more long-term.

Since I don't know exactly how long I will be in Hong Kong for, I don't think I can take out a lease. At the very least it would have to be for 1 year, right? Do they do 6 month leases in Hong Kong? What happens if you terminate it early?

As for renting month to month, are serviced apartments my only option?

Thanks again!

If you are not sure of your schedule, service apartment are the best option. Usually most new lease starts from 2 years. Alternatively, you can advertise under "Apartments and offices" and consider your options to see if there is short term lease (where one break lease due to change of plans etc). Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by lindseyk:
    Do they do 6 month leases in Hong Kong?
    It's entirely up to you and the landlord what kind of lease you want to sign. Obviously most landlords prefer more stable tenants so if you want a short lease it reduces your choice considerably as a lot of landlords won't be interested. Some will though, and some will be prepared to do it if you're prepared to pay a premium over those tenant who are prepared to sign longer leases.