Like Tree3Likes

Apartments with 2 year lease - really???

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Is it also better to speak Chinese to the agents as well when enquiring/inspecting a place? Better service and all? Partner will be arriving in HK first so he'll be looking for a place. Doesn't speak a word of Cantonese/mandarin, except to order food?? I get there a month later, so it'll be interesting to see what he gets. I guess that's the interesting part.

Quote Originally Posted by shaz888:
    Thanks for the responses. Definitely will negotiate with the landlord.

What are your thoughts on furnished/unfurnished apartments? Would definitely be more convenient for a furnished place but do they up the asking rent by a lot for furnished places?
    Furnished places are usually a bit more expensive (10-20% I would say) to rent. However note that "furnished" can mean anything from having a couch and bed (and nothing else) to an apartment filled with lot's of crap, so make sure to take a look.

I found it difficult to find a furnished place and ended up renting unfurnished. Was some hassle to get all the furniture but at least it's new and what I like.

Is it also better to speak Chinese to the agents as well when enquiring/inspecting a place?
    Most agents speak English and can act as a translator in case the landlord only speaks Chinese.

Also note that the agent fee is negotiable, you do not have to pay 50% of the first month's rent. If you can't agree before viewing an apartment let them write "Negotiable" instead of a percentage onto the form.