Moving to Hong Kong - commuting to Discovery Bay and Central, recommendations for areas to live in / apartments

Closed Thread

Smile Moving to Hong Kong - commuting to Discovery Bay and Central, recommendations for areas to live in / apartments

Hi,

I'm moving to Hong Kong early August and am looking for a suitable area to move to that is handy for commuting to work, I'll be catching the ferry to Discovery Bay and my partner will be working in Central.

We're looking to rent a one bedroom apartment, hopefully around / under $20,000 HKD and had been thinking Sheung Wan could be a good possibility as my commuting time (will hopefully) be under an hour each way and looks quite central for things to do / getting about.

Looking for advice on moving to Sheung Wan / other possible nearby areas to live in and apartment/serviced apartment blocks and letting agencies in Sheung Wan.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

Who will have the longer working hours? Since one of you has to make the trip anyway, it might make sense to live on lantau because you'd get more for your money... but I'm guessing the priority is that the commute to central is shorter?

Hi, we'll both have approx the same length of working day but I'll be given a free ferry pass from my work on Discovery Bay therefore more cost effective for me to commute further to work, thanks.

Olympic area may suit u. where is just 2 MTR station to Central, but there give u clubhouse facilities also

U could live on db and give the free frerry tickets to your partner. Would that work? U will get better value for your money on db. But Hk island is probably more fun.

Talking

Hi Randy,

Yep had considered that with ferry tickets, and you're right about getting more for your money on Discovery Bay in comparison to HK island. Think I'll wait and see what the commute is like when we arrive early Aug but would probably rather live on HK island as bring new to HK would like to experience as much as possible. Could you recommend any areas to live in within easy commute of the ferry terminal?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Helsinki271:
    Hi Randy,

Yep had considered that with ferry tickets, and you're right about getting more for your money on Discovery Bay in comparison to HK island. Think I'll wait and see what the commute is like when we arrive early Aug but would probably rather live on HK island as bring new to HK would like to experience as much as possible. Could you recommend any areas to live in within easy commute of the ferry terminal?

Thanks!
    sheung wan. Kennedy town. Mid levels. Soho.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the list of areas.

Cheers!