Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By bryant.english

Questions to ask when renting an apartment in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Questions to ask when renting an apartment in Hong Kong

Hey all, just wanted to let people know that I will be heading off to Hong Kong from the US on July 7th. Though my temporary housing will be a hotel, eventually I will have the dubious honor of looking for an apartment.

Just wanted to know what questions should I ask and things to look out for when doing the apartment search. Indeed, this would be my first renting experience and though I know it will be difficult, I would like to go in a little prepared. Don't want to be cheated or scammed.

To give a little background, I've already searched websites like craigslist and hongkong.asiaexpat for listings. As my job is in Central, I'm interested in places like Sheung Wan and Causeway Bay. Commuting from Kowloon or the New Territories is not something I'd like to do. My annual salary at my new job will be $20,000 HKD per month.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

What's your actual rental budget per month?
    You're in no position to be picky though if you're earning $20k a month.

Unfortunately no matter what you ask HK real estate agents the chance of getting a honest or informed answer is pretty much zero. Things you might want to know are:

1. Is the flat a government subsidized "home ownership scheme" flat? If so, the owners are usually not allowed to let it. But many do so anyway.
    2. Are management fees included in the rent?
    3. Are pets allowed (if you have any)?
    4. Are there any construction sites nearby?
    5. In case of village houses, are there any illegal structures?

How much is the rent?

Ramdom and ShiNan like this.

Let's say the rent is somewhere between $7,000 - $9,000 HKD. I know that any amount between those two sums is cutting a significant portion out of my measly salary. However, if taking some minor losses my first year in Hong Kong will allow me to get used to the city and help me do my job well, then I can take that. Moreover, my parents are slightly well off. I'm not saying I can afford a huge, opulent, and fabulous $28,000 flat forever and ever. However, I can use a portion of my salary to pay for something substantial without it being too damaging.

Have you thought about sharing a flat? It would reduce cost significantly because at the price you suggested - around Sheung Wan/CWB you're looking at a shoe box.

Try Go Home they have a lot of flats listed all over Hong Kong: Buy Property in Hong Kong | Hong Kong Homes for sale – Gohome.com.hk

Rents in Sheung Wan and Causeway Bay were pretty high last time I looked. Kennedy Town could also be an option as it's not far from Central and the trams are frequent and cheap.