Confused about where to live

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by scb248:
    Hi. I just thought that public transport in HK was well arranged and easy to get around. I'd cope with commuting up to an hour door-to-door each way if it meant a decent place. Just to put something else into the mix - I would be able to get a staff bus picking up from Central/Admiralty or North Point/Tin Hau to Aberdeen. Anyone know where the nicest/cleanest beaches are and how close are they to public transport? Am I expecting too much?
    Public transport here is very good. The thing that makes commuting unbearable is the humidity. Check threads regarding the climate.

Most beaches are easily reachable by bus.

Yes, the bus service here is excellent, but Hong Kong is bigger than you apparently realise! And Aberdeen is on the southern side of the island, so until the MTR snakes its way around there you (and your staff bus) have the options of going through the Aberdeen Tunnel, around the western side of the island, or around the eastern side of the island - any of which routes can easily take 40+ minutes when there's a good traffic snarl, not an infrequent occurrence

If you want to throw a beach into the mix, you could take a look at the un-trendy side of Lamma island: Mo Tat Wan / Sok Wu Wan area. There is a kaido (small ferry) service between there and Aberdeen, and Sok Wu Wan is only about 20 minutes walk from Lo So Sing Beach, which the less disreputable of Hong Kong's two English language newspapers recently named Hong Kong's best beach.
    But for my money's worth, I'd prefer to stay around Aberdeen, as it'd be easier to get to & from work, and I can do without having to lug all my shopping across on a ferry (no supermarkets at that end of Lamma).

commuting in Kowloon area

I am also moving to HK in early August and looking for serviced apartments until I find my feet. I will be working on Sham Mong Road, west Kowloon, I would be greatful for any recommendations as I have no ideas about commuting times. Is it possible to live on HK Island and commute or am I better to look around Mong Kok/TST area? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by hutchieboy:
    I will be working on Sham Mong Road, west Kowloon, I would be greatful for any recommendations as I have no ideas about commuting times.
    Guessing that you're going to be working at HSBC, you'd be best of looking for places around there - it's right next to Olympic station and there are plenty of residential blocks there.

Quote Originally Posted by hutchieboy:
    I am also moving to HK in early August and looking for serviced apartments until I find my feet. I will be working on Sham Mong Road, west Kowloon, I would be greatful for any recommendations as I have no ideas about commuting times. Is it possible to live on HK Island and commute or am I better to look around Mong Kok/TST area? Thank you
    Mongkok is quite expensive for Kowloon and it's a very very busy area. TST is also a busy area, full of tourists every day and night and you will get sick of the touts very quickly. Also expensive.

Not that I have anything against these areas (work in Mongkok and like it) but there are other locations such as Yau Ma Tei or Jordan or Olympic that would be better. These areas are also really accessible to HK island and about 30-50% less in rental price.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    Yes, the bus service here is excellent, but Hong Kong is bigger than you apparently realise! And Aberdeen is on the southern side of the island, so until the MTR snakes its way around there you (and your staff bus) have the options of going through the Aberdeen Tunnel, around the western side of the island, or around the eastern side of the island - any of which routes can easily take 40+ minutes when there's a good traffic snarl, not an infrequent occurrence

If you want to throw a beach into the mix, you could take a look at the un-trendy side of Lamma island: Mo Tat Wan / Sok Wu Wan area. There is a kaido (small ferry) service between there and Aberdeen, and Sok Wu Wan is only about 20 minutes walk from Lo So Sing Beach, which the less disreputable of Hong Kong's two English language newspapers recently named Hong Kong's best beach.
    But for my money's worth, I'd prefer to stay around Aberdeen, as it'd be easier to get to & from work, and I can do without having to lug all my shopping across on a ferry (no supermarkets at that end of Lamma).
    I'd say going through the Aberdeen tunnel in the morning is generally good in the morning. Wouldn't say that you can call it traffic as its moving at a considerable rate....as opposed to "rush hour" when everyone is finishing work then it takes friggin ages to commute back home.