Confused about where to live

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused about where to live

Hi all. I am re-locating to HK from the UK in late-August and looking for place to call home for the next couple of years. I will be working in Aberdeen but have no concept of commuting times in HK. Can anyone give me a rough idea of how long it takes from various places? I think I'll be looking for a 2 bed place even though my partner & child will probably only visit for 2 weeks a year, so maybe a big 1 bed apartment. Anyway where could I maximise floor space for about HK$8-10k and still be close to transport? Should I go furnished or unfurnished? Also heard about people renting out empty floors in factories - is this even worth contemplating? Help would be appreciated.

if your going to be working in aberdeen then you best choice for that budget would be in aberdeen, then in south horizons in ap lie chau. Most places are unfurnished, not many are furnished. wouldnt recommend factories as the price of water, electricity, plus even internet and phones, you will get charged commercial rates and not residential rates.

look on gohome.com.hk for reference, once you arrive, get booked into a hotel or serviced apartment, then visit aberdeen and ap lei chau, get a feel for it before deciding on your next move.

Thanks

Many thanks for the response. I actually get to HK mid August and am being accommodated in a hotel for 2 weeks so will have a look round. What types of areas could I rent for that kind of money?
    ps Are you indian?just that my surname is bhatia

you more than likely will not get more 500ish sq ft with than budget within aberdeen, would you consider either increase the housing budget or more somewhere cheaper (though u have commute significantly longer), please note rent in hk esp hk island is pricier than london, unless you consider moving to new territories, you won't get much for ur buck

[QUOTE=imparanoic;1590581]you more than likely will not get more 500ish sq ft with than budget within aberdeen /QUOTE]

single guy 500ish sqft is more than enough, especially if his wife and kid will only come to HK onces or twice a year.

Do not live anywhere that requires you to take the Aberdeen tunnel to get to work, that commute is HELL especially during rush hour.

Your better of staying close to Aberdeen itself.

scb248: No I am not Indian

Many thanks for responses. Another question

Thanks for your input. Are there any places in the NT that expats tend to live in. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scb248:
    Thanks for your input. Are there any places in the NT that expats tend to live in. Thanks
    Just look for the areas where the rental costs are double what they are in the surrounding areas and that's probably where the expats are For example, gold coast in Tuen Mun.

if you are working in aberdeen you would be absolutely insane to live in the new territories.

Unless u live in park island and just take a
    cab each morning. I agree though. Pick somewhere like ap lei chow makes more sense

Hi. I just thought that public transport in HK was well arranged and easy to get around. I'd cope with commuting up to an hour door-to-door each way if it meant a decent place. Just to put something else into the mix - I would be able to get a staff bus picking up from Central/Admiralty or North Point/Tin Hau to Aberdeen. Anyone know where the nicest/cleanest beaches are and how close are they to public transport? Am I expecting too much?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast