Looking for 600-800 square feet places near HKU

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for 600-800 square feet places near HKU

Hi,

I'm moving to Hong Kong this December to start a program at HKU in January (I was able to push back the start date from September).

I'm looking for apartments near the University that have some basic facilities (a gym, for example) and are populated by expats. My budget is US$2,500-3,200 a month. This works out to HK$19,500 to HK$25,000 a month.

I was looking at the Belcher's, and I've been quoted HK$33K a month for an 850 square feet apartment - is that really how much it costs? I knew that HK was expensive, but didn't think it was that expensive. Even University Heights on Kotewall Rd seems to be in the $28K-$29K range.

Can anyone let me know if this is the real price?

Just to clarify, I want to be near the University and am looking for places that are slightly upscale - but not extravagantly luxurious given my budget. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ds_13; 12-07-2011 at 08:29 PM.

Yes, that could well be the price at the Belchers if not more. but they do have great facilities. Property here is ridiculously expensive especially on the island. I think you should consider living slightly further away...? Or maybe in Kennedy town?

Last edited by Satay Sue; 12-07-2011 at 09:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ds_13:
    - is that really how much it costs? I knew that HK was expensive, but didn't think it was that expensive.
    Well, you cut your own throat by stipulating "it must be populated by expats".

Thanks for the input. I guess I will just need to look harder.

If I offer to pre-pay say 6 months or one year of rent - will that help bring the price down? Or is that typical for Hong Kong apartments?

I imagine a three month deposit must be standard - at least that's common here in North America.

in HK you have to pay 2-month deposit and the 1st month rent, with 2 years lease as standard (where you cannot break the least in the 1st yr)
    your offer to pre-pay 6-mth may help a bit - don't expect too much.

I own a 700 square foot apartment near hku. Rented at 28 k a month. That is with a balcony and rooftop
    and modern renno though. I think u could still
    get something pretty nice for your budget. U should consider also Sai wan, Kennedy town, and sheung wan where u will get better value for money.

Thanks for the insight. I'll try and find every apartment at The Belcher's because the facilities are great and it's so close to the University.

If not, I guess I'll concede defeat and come to terms with the fact that I've been priced out of the good apartments in Pok Fu Lam. Kennedy Town is too far away, I think Sai Wan, Sheung Wan and Wan Chai and are good suggestions.

i work in the area and know lots of folks who stay near hku area for less than that-- and btw kennedy town is not too far from campus. If I were you I'd hit the sai ying pun area hard-- it is very local and run down (the area, perhaps not the flats) but actually not a bad spot and can be had within your budget for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ds_13:
    Kennedy Town is too far away, I think Sai Wan, Sheung Wan and Wan Chai and are good suggestions.
    Eh? Wan Chai is a lot further away from HKU than Kennedy Town.

And Pokfulam is further than Kennedy

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast