Like Tree5Likes

Where to live for 40 - 50K HKD?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think by character she means buildings/flats that are not your standard box with low ceiling, flumsy windows and build less than 30 year ago.

That is a "rarity" in HK unfortunately. People tend to prefer, as soon as they have the means, newer flat in newer towers.

I have friends living on a stunning old building on Caine Road/nearby Caine road - about 1.400 sq for less than 40K, the place has high ceiling, old style tiles on the floor....a great great flat, but those are rare on the market.

Original Post Deleted
    Just walk away from the new developments in a North-Easterly direction for a few hundred yards.

Original Post Deleted
    I live on Temple Street and it's not that bad. Quite noisy though. I have never seen an incident there in over a year. If this place is the worst then the rest of HK would be a pleasure.

Yes you get the massage girls and some right in front of my door but they get to know you and don't bother you after a while.

OP is not going to re-duplicate the Upper West Side in HK even if they are the most optimistic people on the planet. It is not going to happen either the neighbourhood or the buildings with character -now that is funny. Not knocking OP here at all! My wife and I would love to live in the Upper West Side of NY. OP is not even going to find Tribeca type living here either.

Best thing is to come to HK and live in a serviced flat and then get out and explore the areas you'd like to live in - Happy Valley or wherever.

I appreciate all the candor! I definitely don't expect to replicate life here in NYC...that'd just be a waste of an amazing opportunity to get to know Hong Kong.

Mat likes this.

There are still plenty of mom-n-pop stores around, but they are just about all 1- on the bottom floor of concrete box high-rises, 2 - selling things that are of very little use to westerners, 3 - have little if any English spoken by the proprietors, and 4 - in low rent areas little frequented by expats.

We also moved from NYC recently (but we lived in midtown east), and am now living in mid-levels. For about that range, I think you can get something really decent in this area. We were also looking for a place with plenty of greens so we settled on a building next to the HK Zoo, and a short hike away from the Peak. Bowen road is also a short walk away - lots of people jog and walk their dogs there. Commute to Central is a short taxi ride away. But the hills here are killing me, and the summer heat - phew - definitely not made for walking.

ps: still looking for a yoga studio myself. Pretty sure there are quite a few in Central/Sheung Wan. Let me know if you find one you like...

Thanks kacok! Hope you're settling in well and getting a chance to explore a bit...but I know what you mean by the heat! We are having 90 degree weather in NYC this week and everyone complains about how hot it is. Meanwhile I'm thinking to myself that this is nothing compared to HK.

Anyway I'll be out there in October so I hope to find a good studio. I belong to a very small studio here but the owner has recommended Pure yoga out there. There's Pure yoga NYC but it's owned by Equinox so it's has more of a gym yoga feel. I think it might be different in HK.

Anyway if I hear any leads for good studios I'll shoot you a message. But probably the best way is to look through some of the yoga studio discussions on the forum and test them out yourself. Let me know if you find something that you like. Maybe we can try some studios together but hopefully you'll have found something by October. Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by kacoak:
    We also moved from NYC recently (but we lived in midtown east), and am now living in mid-levels. For about that range, I think you can get something really decent in this area. We were also looking for a place with plenty of greens so we settled on a building next to the HK Zoo, and a short hike away from the Peak.
    Genuinely curious - I have heard of complaints of noise from those who live near the Zoo. Some of those monkeys apparently make a heck of a racket in the early hours of the morning?

I would recommend the Olypmic area in Western Kowloon, where only 2 MTR (railway) stations to Central within 10 minutes.
    It's a relatively new area with 3 big shopping malls, cafe, yoga/gym, etc. Walking to Mongkok (one of the popular place) is ~15minutes. It's close to Tsim Sha Tsui as well.