which one is better?

which one is better?

first off, this site is great, already learned a ton about my upcoming adventure just from reading through a bunch of threads - so thanks to all of you!

i'm moving over next month from chicago and my company is giving me a HK$51K/month rental limit, which seems to be good from what i've read.

my relo company is telling me i'll have to go with a serviced suite for a 6 month lease.. is that true?

they are suggesting Harbour Plaza or the Gateway Plaza (I'll be working in Hong Hum) . Does anyone know which of these are better? Should I request othe neighborhoods? thanks!

Did your relo company explain why you would have to take a 6 month lease on a serviced suite? I have never heard of that and it seems a bit strange. Not that having to stay in a serviced suite is terrible, but for 51k you will get a much bigger and nicer place, with a live-in maid if you want. Also, seems like having to stay in a serviced place for 6 months will keep you from settling in for a while...

Haven't heard much about either serviced places you mentioned, sorry.

You don't need to sign for 6 months. Harbour Plaza will do one month. I have just agreed a four month let for one of my staff. They do a range of rooms, suggest you go and look.

6 month is the length of my assignment there. they are claiming that standard apartments won't take a lease for less than a year because the rental market is flush right now.

i've had some other people suggest that I have the relo firm put me up in a hotel so i can pick my place.. think that sounds like a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by chitownguy
    6 month is the length of my assignment there. they are claiming that standard apartments won't take a lease for less than a year because the rental market is flush right now.
    This is true. If you have an allowance of 51,000 I would have thought you could get a better serviced appartment than Harbour Plaza (not that it is bad, just not in that price range). I am paying 24,000 for a one bedroom suite for 4 months with a few extras thrown in like free internet.

If you are here for just 6 months I suggest 'service apartment' is the way to go.

The relo company is not doing justice with your budget.

HK15,000/mnth at Harbour Plaza is way too much money. Maybe not the Gateway although older is just a walk away from the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui (TST). Harbour Plaza offers a shuttle bus to Tsim Sha Tsui.

However your company is located in Hong Hum which means the from the Gateway you can walk right outside the door and take the green mininbus 6A to Hong Hum and possibly from Harbour Plaza there is an option of walking or taking a minbus.

I am surprised that New World Center service apartments (in TST) is not on your list although an older property it is right on the harbor which is great for an evening walk after a long day at work. Also, just across the street is The Pinnacle (in TST). The Pinnacle is a new property that is gorgeous and with your budget you can get something on the lower floors.

All service apartments representatives will say they have set rates but in reality you can baragain - your relo company should be doing this for you.

Now just across the harbor is Causeway Bay which has a lot of service apartments of different variety and size with easy acess to Hong Hum by taxi through the Cross Harbour Tunnel. Although, if you leave to go to work after 8:20 am you risk getting stuck in traffic - your relo company if willing can even arrange for a taxi to meet you every day to take you to and from the office at a discounted rate (if not check geoexpat thread for discounted taxi's).

Last edited by Alby; 12-06-2007 at 01:41 PM.

wow, thank you all so much for this great information! I now have a great list of properties to look into when I get there.. thanks again!