Young couple, working in Central, $20K budget - any suggestions?

Young couple, working in Central, $20K budget - any suggestions?

Hi All,

Young Aussie couple (no kids yet) will be heading over to HK later this year and would appreciate any pointers on what the appropriate areas are for us and how we should refine our search criteria.

• I will be working at Central. My max tolerance on commuting to work is about 30ish minutes door to door and I have a preference for MTR/ferry over buses. We are currently thinking Mid-levels (escalator), Pokfulam or even Discovery Bay (if I can be close to the ferry terminals the commute would probably be quite comfortable?). Is there anywhere else I should be looking at?

• Don't really care about the facilities (e.g. tennis court, pool, gym etc) the apartments have apart from the fact that we prefer younger buildings. But nice air/view and less noise would be a plus. I understand this usually means getting something on a higher floor. We do want at least 2 bedrooms, with the master bedroom large enough to fit a Queen sized bed in.

• We are not really party animals. We may dine out a bit but will happily devour almost anything that is good (local or otherwise).

• We are budgeting HK$20,000 per month max for rent. If we can spend less it'll be great!

Both of us spent quite a bit of time in Asia when growing up so the bad air, humidity, huge crowds and smaller flats shouldn't be anything new...hopefully our time in Australia didn't spoil us!

Finally, I have a full relocation package so we could bring anything we want with us. But it seems like bringing over our (cheap) furniture would actually cramp our ability to house hunt (i.e. we have to rule out fully furnished places). Is this a real issue or am I reading too much into it?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by kanyil; 14-06-2007 at 06:14 AM.

If you'd like expat-friendly, fairly new apartments (as in you probably will be the first tenants renting the apartment), try CentreStage located at 108 Hollywood Rd. The average unit will have 2 bedrooms (enough to fit a queen sized bed in the master one), a small balcony, enclosed kitchen (with oven/broiler, fridge, washing-machine/dryer). You might be able to find some photos online.

Recommending this because it seems like there are still quite a number of units available since it's so new. Easy walk to central (15mins), close to the escalator and the nice Soho restaurants. I would say you can get the 614 sqft units for about HKD17,500 (Floor in the 20s) depending on how well bargaining goes with the owner. Larger and smaller units also available and price may vary depending on the floor and view. I looked at quite a few of them so I know.

At 614 sq.ft and 2 bedrooms you might get a queen size bed in the master bedroom but I doubt that you'd be able to fit anything else like a wardrobe...

Two bedrooms each big enough for a reasonable size bed, wardrobe, drawers etc. requires at least 800sq.ft gross in my experience.

I reckon DB might not be a bad bet for you - I have very similar requirements and am currently in the process of looking out there myself.

in a similar boat we chose kennedy town. more local and thus better value than midlevels. search the forum for more info