Like Tree9Likes

Neighborhoods and Ferries

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Yes, fair enough... but there are some areas with at least some street life, of which TKO has none.

I'd never call Hong Kong "generally soulless". Singapore is soulless. Hong Kong certainly not!

SiuMaiTaiTai likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by octarine:
    Don't live in Sok Ku Wan.

Yung Shue Wan is possible (I live there now) if you like the island life and walking through tropical heat, but the ferry service to Aberdeen is being systematically destroyed by the ferry company and the District Councillor.
    What's happening to the ferry to Aberdeen? The timetable still looks quite frequent.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Why does Tseung Kwan O keep coming up in questions of where to live? It's an awful place, a soulless new town!
    Can you expand on that? What do you mean by soulless? Gentrified? Shoddy construction?

The rents there are reasonable and the commute to my work is relatively simple. Low rent may be driving the upswing in interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chazmo:
    Can you expand on that?
    I have done, many times. It is all-new but shoddily built. It is mostly giant podiums on giant plots surrounded by highways and roundabouts. There is no town centre. There is no street life. It is a gigantic failure of planning, having been built later than the other new towns but taking in none of the lessons learnt in those. Be my guest and live there, but I won't.
    Last edited by bookblogger; 03-08-2011 at 01:40 PM.

I don't think many locals understand the concept of soulless. I find tung chung similar myself.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using GeoClicks Mobile

bookblogger and chingleutsch like this.

I've never been there and was only curious because of the access to affordable flats.

I really appreciate your input; I've never been to Hong Kong before and the turn around between my first visit (next week) and my family moving (4 weeks) is very short. The information I gather here will really help me streamline the process so, again, thanks!

bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    What's happening to the ferry to Aberdeen? The timetable still looks quite frequent.
    Less frequent than it used to be and the service is slow. (it takes more time than to go to Central).
    If you're working in Aberdeen, it's not too bad as long if you work 9 to 5:30.
    During the day and in the evening the service is much more infrequent and stops around 9:00 now, (8 on Sundays)

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I have done, many times. It is all-new but shoddily built. It is mostly giant podiums on giant plots surrounded by highways and roundabouts. There is no town centre. There is no street life. It is a gigantic failure of planning, having been built later than the other new towns but taking in none of the lessons learnt in those. Be my guest and live there, but I won't.
    I do agree with this, i drive many a times into Hang Hau, not many shops on street level, massive buildings blocks with just bus/taxi terminus underneath, all the shops are in the malls which are linked to each other, you'll only see people getting out on the outskirts of the mall so it looks like a hidden city. Po Lam is the same as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I'd never call Hong Kong "generally soulless". Singapore is soulless. Hong Kong certainly not!
    Don't worry, with the relentless march of progress and a culturally sensitive administration, maybe we'll get to Singaporean levels of soul in another couple of decades

I'm awaiting the opening of the refurbished Queens Theatre building- are they still going to kick out all the shoe repairmen and key cutting stores?
    bookblogger likes this.