need to commute to both HKU and Lingnan

Closed Thread

need to commute to both HKU and Lingnan

Hello! My husband and I have just moved to Hong Kong, and are looking for an apartment. I will be teaching at Lingnan university (in Tuen Mun), and he will be teaching at Hong Kong University, so we are trying to find something suitable somewhere inbetween. Ideally, neither of us would have to commute more than 45-60 min.

Our budget is 20k. We don't have children, but are unfortunately rather acclimated to larger western-style living spaces and would prefer something fairly new and with decent sized kitchen/bedroom. We will not have a car, at least for the first 6 months or so.

So far, we have looked at Gold Coast (which neither of us were too keen on) and Yoho Town in Yuen Long. We liked Yoho Town fairly well - they showed us a 800sf flat for 13k, well within out budget. We're thinking of looking at some of the larger flats in Yoho Midtown as well; does anyone have any experience with that housing complex?

Also, are there any other potential areas we should be looking at? I like the idea of a village house but it would need to be quite close to a bus/MTR - would that be hard to find?

There are certainly village areas that would meet your requirements in the Tin Shui Wai / Tuen Mun areas, but thinking from the commuting perspective I would probably be looking around West Kowloon. Rental prices are still lower than in more established areas, and it would mean the longer commute would be counter-flow. Your husband would *only* be playing sardines on the relatively short bus trip across the western harbour tunnel and up the hill (there's at least one bus that stops at the western tunnel entrance and goes past HKU - sorry I don't remember the number), and you - for the comparatively long haul out to Lingnan - would be just about guaranteed a seat all the way whether you catch a bus from the other side of the road or go by MTR to Siu Hong station.

Look at Tuen Mun, for your budget you can get 1100sq I'm sure and with a parking space..

IMO Yoho is seriously overpriced..

BE and I both like the Tuen Mun area, but the idea of commuting from here to HKU - in the same direction as 95% of the other vehicles and people heading to and from work - fills me with dread! Even if you do it by car, I can guarantee that the driving style here does not make for a civilised heavy traffic experience, and the fuel bill will be through the roof because of the constant stop/starting.

Quote Originally Posted by chingleutsch:
    BE and I both like the Tuen Mun area, but the idea of commuting from here to HKU - in the same direction as 95% of the other vehicles and people heading to and from work - fills me with dread! Even if you do it by car, I can guarantee that the driving style here does not make for a civilised heavy traffic experience, and the fuel bill will be through the roof because of the constant stop/starting.
    Last night I went to look at an apartment in Nerine Cove, (Tuen Mun): 12800HKD p/m, 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, 820 sqf. Seaview of Sam Shing harbour. 2 swimming pools, the indoor one is open year round, gym, sauna, bowling lanes, billiards room, etc, etc, etc. Might make the commute bearable!!!

thanks for the replies! I do think Tuen Mun is a bit too far for my husband. We're going to have a look today at some apartments in Tsuen Wan, and I think I'll look at see if I can find anything in the west Kowloon area.

elements would be your most ideal, though it pretty pricey, apartments near olympic could be best compromise between distance and price