Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MovingIn07
  • 1 Post By MovingIn07
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia

[need help] rent a village house in CWB or Sai Kung

[need help] rent a village house in CWB or Sai Kung

Hey Guys, this is a follow-up to my earlier post about finding an apartment in HK. Skyhook and others suggested CWB and Sai Kung. I called T&T and have looked at 6 village houses.

The first 4 were very disappointing (they are in Sheung Sze Wan, Mau Po, Ng Fai Tin area). The outside looked very rundown and the inside gave a musty smell.

The fifth one is in Denon Terrace. The house is good but the neighbors are all local people. Since I don't speak Cantonese, it'll be impossible for me to make friends here. And the house has no sea view.

The last one I saw has good sea view. The inside looked OK but not exciting. The neighbor put a fish tank in the yard, which makes a very very unpleasant noise.

My question: Since so far I haven't really seen anything exciting, is it necessary to call more agents? The agent from T&T said they don't have more houses that fit my requirements at this time. I guess since they are a pretty big one, I am not sure if others have more to offer. What are the other big agents would you suggest? I would greatly appreciate your suggestions and comments.

My suggestion would be to be less picky. Houses are rare in HK (compared to appartments) and while there are probably others available, getting "just the right thing" if you are too picky is going to be pure luck. Recognise you have moved to a new country and your neighbours are likely to be Chinese, that the smells will be different and the decor may need some work.

cometqq likes this.

Thank you for your suggestion. Sorry if I came off as picky. I like Chinese People and I am completely OK neighboring with them, but I guess my life would be a little bit easier if one or two neighbors speak English.

Accomodation here is always something of a compromise. No harm in looking further- once you get a feel for what is out there, you'll know what kind of compromise you'll have to make.

cometqq likes this.

ok just saw and read your previous post. 20K - 700sqft and above can be done. the 3 villages you mentioned can be hard to handle if you need to take public transport, quite a bit of a walk up hill to reach the main road especially during this weather unless you plan on getting a car as well.

Go To Sai Kung Town during the weekend, there are quite a few agents there but remember to make a list of places you have seen, some will have the same house in many agents and you dont want to waste your time.

I live in Mang Kung Uk, just past silver strand, there are around 8 villages here, quite a lot of foreigners live here as well, we are quite close to Hang Hau, you could even walk to Hang Hau through the paths and reach the MTR station in 15-20 mins depending on your pace. its down hill and away from the main road, nice pavement path through the jungle.

PM me if you need any help.

cometqq likes this.

Thank you, wtbhotia. I do need public transport. I came here from the US one month ago with almost 0$$ in my bank account, so it'll take a while for me to save up enough money to buy a car. I'll go to Sai Kung town tomorrow. Thank you again for offering help.