Living in a green area - rent price

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Living in a green area - rent price

Hi,

i am looking for a flat in a green area like Sai Kung. I prefer a Village house with roof, open/sea view and car parking would be good.

A friend recommend Tai Po, because the rent should me much cheaper there.

Has anyone experiences of living in Tai Po?
    Which areas are nice there?
    How is the public transport? Security?..

Do you know other "green" areas in Hong Kong, with a rent price for 700 sqft und 8500 HKD?

Thanks
    Martin

Don't waste your time with Taipo, its not even remotely comparable to Sai Kung, weird that it was even specified. Seriously its chalk and cheese difference.

I think for your budget you will need to venture further down from Sai Kung along Tai Mong Tsai Road, you should be able to get a top floor village house, 3 bedroom, timber floor boards, 700 ft inc roof top, full width balcony and free parking. $8500 should just cover it.

These places were $5500 in 2005 lol so allowing for a bit of market adjustment from then till now, $8500K to $10K will cover a sea view, and a rear facing mountain view.

Try out the real estate agents next to Steamers bar in Sai Kung Town, they should have more than a few places for around that money, 10 mins drive from town.

Spend some time at a few of the cafes and restaurants in Sai Kung, you soon discover that there is a real community with its own flavour of atmosphere. Mostly dominated by the expats, but locals that are extroverted enough to partake in a good drink sesh and a loud convo about premiere league, and your in excellent company.

Last edited by Skyhook; 29-06-2007 at 12:48 AM.

SkyHook Said
    "Don't waste your time with Taipo, its not even remotely comparable to Sai Kung, weird that it was even specified. Seriously its chalk and cheese difference."

I would put it the other way round. The Villages on Ting Kok Road going down to Plover Cove are what you are looking for. PLUS TaiPo has much better facilities than Sai Kung. PLUS the Touristy area at the top of the road has some great bistro.

Come and have a look for yourself and you will see I am correct.

I live in Ting Kok village , top floor with a sea view and mountains behind.. The rents are much cheaper here also.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:
    SkyHook Said
    "Don't waste your time with Taipo, its not even remotely comparable to Sai Kung, weird that it was even specified. Seriously its chalk and cheese difference."

I would put it the other way round. The Villages on Ting Kok Road going down to Plover Cove are what you are looking for. PLUS TaiPo has much better facilities than Sai Kung. PLUS the Touristy area at the top of the road has some great bistro.

Come and have a look for yourself and you will see I am correct.

I live in Ting Kok village , top floor with a sea view and mountains behind.. The rents are much cheaper here also.
    tsktsktsktsktsk Boris Boris Boris, my friend..what is that...talking about CHEAP rent??? I thought "us" EXPAT were supposed to piss it all, to live it Royal Style....I am a tad disappointed here...

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    tsktsktsktsktsk Boris Boris Boris, my friend..what is that...talking about CHEAP rent??? I thought "us" EXPAT were supposed to piss it all, to live it Royal Style....I am a tad disappointed here...
    Oh Dear Mat we are not reading my words carefully enough are we !!!
    Quote " The rents are much cheaper here also. " doesn't mean that I am not spending money like I should as a proflificant expat ( as advertised ). Shame on me if I behaved in that way , eh ?

This comment is aimed squarely at the difference between the two places mentioned. I live in a brand new house , ensuite , the whole thing and paid more than I should , because I can. It has a roof patio with sea and mountain views for enjoying those Tom Collins moments and to look down on all those " other " people.

I have lots of expensive ( over paid and custom made ) furniture. I take a cab as often as I can ( who wants to sit in a bus with the foreigners ) and they are so VFM . I wouldn't dream of buying anything in a sale and tailor made is not just a golf brand you know.

I of course ONLY shop at Jusco ( The sushi is devine ) and do a once a month expedition to City Super in TST. I mean Wellcome and P n S is much too passe pour moi and how can one not have a Greek Salad without Athenian Goats Cheese from the south slope of Mount Olympus. The North side just doesn't have that picant freshness. YES, YES, I know its obvious but you never who might read this.

I am sure you will feel much better with this explination and the heart palpitations should now subside from the aforementioned shock of what you assumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris:

Oh Dear Mat we are not reading my words carefully enough are we !!!
    Quote " The rents are much cheaper here also. " doesn't mean that I am not spending money like I should as a proflificant expat ( as advertised ). Shame on me if I behaved in that way , eh ?

This comment is aimed squarely at the difference between the two places mentioned. I live in a brand new house , ensuite , the whole thing and paid more than I should , because I can. It has a roof patio with sea and mountain views for enjoying those Tom Collins moments and to look down on all those " other " people.

I have lots of expensive ( over paid and custom made ) furniture. I take a cab as often as I can ( who wants to sit in a bus with the foreigners ) and they are so VFM . I wouldn't dream of buying anything in a sale and tailor made is not just a golf brand you know.

I of course ONLY shop at Jusco ( The sushi is devine ) and do a once a month expedition to City Super in TST. I mean Wellcome and P n S is much too passe pour moi and how can one not have a Greek Salad without Athenian Goats Cheese from the south slope of Mount Olympus. The North side just doesn't have that picant freshness. YES, YES, I know its obvious but you never who might read this.

I am sure you will feel much better with this explination and the heart palpitations should now subside from the aforementioned shock of what you assumed.
    I feel a tad better but still wonder....Jusco, really, I mean...isn't that a little too Local....I personally would never set a foot there....heard so many stories...apparently you have to queue to pay and the food is wrapped...what kind of place is that...plus really going there to buy by yourself...it is just look so...Don't you have a maid (or 2 or 3) that you exploit and that are supposed to do that for you?

Have your meal catered everyday, that is the way to go....

Otherwise yes I feel a bit better knowing you have a roof patio and all, we wouldn't want to mix with the populace would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    I feel a tad better but still wonder....Jusco, really, I mean...isn't that a little too Local....I personally would never set a foot there....heard so many stories...apparently you have to queue to pay and the food is wrapped...what kind of place is that...plus really going there to buy by yourself...it is just look so...Don't you have a maid (or 2 or 3) that you exploit and that are supposed to do that for you?

Have your meal catered everyday, that is the way to go....
    Mat , you really are not keeping up with events.
    Jusco is --SO NOW. Such a respectably few outlets so not to be subject to that " smelly armpit " feeling one has at those other outlets. It is SO refreshing to see the staff do a low bow when exiting the floor to the staff area. I am disappointed Tai Po does not have a french pattisorie like Tai Koo but I suppose country living must have to have some rough edges.

Queueing, We don't do that . Paying some one to do it for you whilst you take in a Frappachino is much more productive. Likewise the packing. Jusco have people to do that and the delivery service is very convieniant.

Mmmmmm , Staff problems. There is not enough space to give all my disappointments, but we hold out hope that we may be able to train the little orphan Chinese that we brought back in our suitcase from the Northern provinces. It has to be the only way to go to get the quality. Takes time I know, but like a good Stilton, these things take time.

Meals - I have a Chinese wife for that. How else is one to cope? Also we have a fine Restaurant nearby ( Luca. Tel 26626737 ) that has Chefs from Central and SOHO and the owner is a very nice chap who delivers to us when we need. The home made pasta and bread is a delight and we hope soon to organise a Geo event there to show you all what you are missing.

Question looking for a rather green area to move to

I will move to HK in Sep and i want to have a menu of places to move to before arriving. I would rather live in an area without skyscrapers, rather green and not far from a beach...

This is my list so far, and I would love to fill in the blanks with basic pros/cons:

• Tung Chung...
    • Lamma island...
    pros: no highrise, tranquil environment.
    cons: water not swimmable (true?)

• Park island...
    • Caribbean coast...
    • Seaview crescent...
    • Sham Tsen...
    • Sai Kung...
    • Stanley...
    • Pok Fu Lam...
    • Discovery bay...

Would be nice to create a comparison table with all the basics so it remains for future questions (it seems to be a fairly common question in the forum)

if you guys fill in the information, i will create the table and post it.

Thanks!

As always: what is your budget range, where will you work, and are you moving alone or with family (ie children)?

Some of these areas are essentially clusters of "skyscrapers" (Tung Chung, Park Island, ...). The water at Lamma is as swimmable as any other. There is a gazetted beach (meaning it has shark net, life guards and monitored water quality).

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast