Dealing with agents? 4 mth stay. Can't pre-view apartments.

Dealing with agents? 4 mth stay. Can't pre-view apartments.

I am currently communicating via mail(she wanted me to call but, I am on the other side of the world) to some sort of agent that has a bunch of entries at gohome.com.hk.

I am only staying 4 months (studying), and I have no way to go to HK and check out places before my arrival.

The agent is asking me when I can come and see the apartment...

So any tips on dealing with agents? How do you help yourself against getting cheated? Is it a bad idea to agree to anything before hand?

I arrive on august 27th, is it feasable to wait and live at a hostel or something, and find an apartment to lease from September - December?

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb:
    I am currently communicating via mail(she wanted me to call but, I am on the other side of the world) to some sort of agent that has a bunch of entries at gohome.com.hk.
    If you are in the UK or US/Canada then it is trivial to find a phone card or similar which costs less than US$0.02, GBP0.015 per minute to Hong Kong. That is not a plausible excuse.

Places offered on GoHome are generally offered for a minimum 14 month rent so you you need to be very explicit that you only want a place for 4 months.

Doesn't wherever you will be studying have some recommended accommodation?

You do have the right to study in HK or an appropriate visa, don't you?

it is possible to find short term accomodation, but if i were you, i'd look for a serviced apartment.

otherwise, you'll be connecting all of the utilities etc(+paying their deposits) for only 4 months. most leases here are for a minimum of 12 months+2 months notice= 14 months.

where will you be studying? maybe we can help you find service accomodations?

It is difficult to find landlords willing to lease an apartment for only 4 months. As the others said, serviced apartments might be the best option. Also, some hotels have monthly rates (couple of thousand HK$).

Most places I know require at least 6 month lease.

If you are seeking an apartment share then you maybe find an apartment this way as well.

Another option is service apartment.

Strongly recommend that you hostel it the first week you arrive as geoexpat is loaded with threads that discuss horror stories related to people renting a place before they even saw it!