9 months at CUHK need advice on accommodation

9 months at CUHK need advice on accommodation

I need some advice on where and how to live. My situation is this: I will be studying as an exchange student at CUHK this fall and spring (a total of approx. 9 months). My fiancée is coming with me and will look for work in HK so staying in a dorm room at CUHK is unfortunately not an option for us. We have looked around on the internet and think that an apartment in Ma On Shan or Shatin seems to be a good choice. But..

Will we have problems renting an apartment in HK? We are from Sweden, and here we have pretty good financial support for students - but do you think landlords will understand this or will they not rent to us until my fiancée has found a job?

I've understood that serviced apartments might be a better option when renting for a shorter period of time. But is it even possible to find one with a budget of 10K/month?

Thankful for any advice you might have!

Check your inbox

Tjenare!

Sent you a PM.

Mvh Qaz18

Horizon Suite Hotel services apartments in Ma on Shan should be a good option for you and I think they might still have reduced rates if you book through CUHK. Good luck

http://www.horizonsuitehotel.com/eng/service.html

Hi! I'm studying Cantonese at CUHK right now for summer term. I'm going to come back for my 2nd term this Fall too.

The accomodation at Ma On Shan station is recommended by the school. But I find it far away from the city life in Kowloon and Hong Kong Island.

I have a classmate living on campus and she's totally getting eaten by mosquitoes everyday. So maybe it's a good thing that you are not going to live on campus!

I currently live in Kowloon Tong at YWCA Lodge. I am happy with it b/c I can use both the KCR rail to get to school and also the MTR to get to other places easily.

Horizon Suite has more locations in Hung Hom that are closer to the city life but the price is a bit higher.

Hope this helps!

Hi all

thanks a lot for all your advice, really appreciate it!

Hearing about the mosquito situation makes me pretty happy that I'm not staying there. Also I think it's pretty nice to have your own place at times.

I'm not too concerned about being to far away from Kowloon and Hong Kong Island. You can get there in less than an hour with public transportation, right? I think I'd rather have a shorter commute to school each day.

We were/are leaning towards staying at Horizon Suite in Ma On Shan right now - I had no idea that they might have reduced rates if you book through CUHK! Do you have any more information on that? I'll try asking both CUHK and Horizon Suite about it.