Looking for short-term (cheap!) accommodation w/ easy commute to Queens Road Central

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Looking for short-term (cheap!) accommodation w/ easy commute to Queens Road Central

Hi everyone

I'm moving to HK from the UK in November (taking the whole family) but my manager has requested that I come for a few weeks on my own in October first and recommended that rather than using up the allowance for a serviced apartment I should stay in a hotel and then use the serviced apartment once the family arrives.

So, my question is this: Are there any reasonably priced (CHEAP!) hotels near (or with easy access to) Queens Road Central? I'm looking at 2 - 3 weeks stay. So far I have found the Bishop Lei International House which seems decent, but would like a few more options.... Any pointers much appreciated!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Budget? ......

Don't see how a hotel would be cheaper than a serviced apartment

Bishop Lei, is old and archaic and not that convenient even if it is in central. I stayed there a couple of nights when I first came to Hong Kong. Didn't like it one bit. Advise you to look further out even if you have to commute a little. MTR and public transport is easy in HK. But 2-3 weeks in Bishop Lei will drive you up the wall. Great view though I have to admit, but tiny tiny rooms.

Funny, my Aussie friend's family stay there whenever they visit and don't complain.
    Agree though, 3 weeks in any hotel would drive me nuts

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

The Wesley in Wanchai is about the same price (or a little cheaper than BLH) and it has a bus stop outside for buses to Central. Just be wary of the buffet.

Hate it when people come here and say they want something cheap, etc. Please, OP, tell us how cheap you want it. One person's cheap is another persons expensive.

First of all, you really won't find anywhere in central "cheap" unless you want to stay in a by the hour hotel (in which case they will kick you out at the end of the night).

Some options for you:

- Bishop Lei is fine, Its about 80-100 pounds a night for a standard room. Pay a bit more and you can get a suite. This is a lot nicer, I think you pay about 20 pounds more a night for that. However prices do vary depending on when you want to stay. Location wise, its about 5 mins walk from the escalator.

- The Butterfly on Wellington is a good spot. Its a boutique hotel and a very good location for you. I think its a bit more expensive than Bishop Lei though.

There are a bunch of hotels in Sheung Wan / Sai Yin Pun (sp?) which are pretty good for the price. Easy access to central by bus / taxi / tram.

- The Ramada in Sheung Wan is cheap, but also nasty. Rooms look like the shining. For a week you can get a room there for about 400 for a week.

- The Island Pacific hotel is nicer than the Ramada. Decent sized rooms, about 500 pounds a week.

- The Courtyard Marriott is very nice, about 130 pounds a night.

- The Traders also nice, bit cheaper than the Marriott, at about 100 pounds a night.

I've had people stay in Bishop Lei and swear it's the greatest find for staying in HK! For hotels, cheapest I can think of would be Silvermine Beach in Mui Wo (plus 30 min ferry each way). You won't get anything fancy on the Island cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Budget? ......
    Slim... Less than GBP80/day preferably

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Hate it when people come here and say they want something cheap, etc. Please, OP, tell us how cheap you want it. One person's cheap is another persons expensive.

First of all, you really won't find anywhere in central "cheap" unless you want to stay in a by the hour hotel (in which case they will kick you out at the end of the night).

Some options for you:

- Bishop Lei is fine, Its about 80-100 pounds a night for a standard room. Pay a bit more and you can get a suite. This is a lot nicer, I think you pay about 20 pounds more a night for that. However prices do vary depending on when you want to stay. Location wise, its about 5 mins walk from the escalator.

- The Butterfly on Wellington is a good spot. Its a boutique hotel and a very good location for you. I think its a bit more expensive than Bishop Lei though.

There are a bunch of hotels in Sheung Wan / Sai Yin Pun (sp?) which are pretty good for the price. Easy access to central by bus / taxi / tram.

- The Ramada in Sheung Wan is cheap, but also nasty. Rooms look like the shining. For a week you can get a room there for about 400 for a week.

- The Island Pacific hotel is nicer than the Ramada. Decent sized rooms, about 500 pounds a week.

- The Courtyard Marriott is very nice, about 130 pounds a night.

- The Traders also nice, bit cheaper than the Marriott, at about 100 pounds a night.

Appreciate the detailed reply - given that I specified the Bishop Lei (which as you say is around £80 upwards) I thought that was giving it enough context as to what I meant by "cheap".

I'll take a look through the once you mentioned.
    Thanks.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast