Like Tree7Likes

Where to live with kids when working in Mong Hok

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Ever checked your address in Chinese M07?
    I say Wong Gum Hoi On to taxi drivers and that gets me home.. but clearly I'm missing something hilarious somewhere along the way here ... do enlighten me pls!

Umm no Bryant, the Gold Coast actually borders Siu Lam and So Kwun Wat, NOT Sham Tseng at all...

Furthermore, I thought Sham Tseng was actually phonetically pronounced as Sum Jen in Canto, locally..

Moving right along......

I also agree with Mat on this one, Kowloon Tong, Beacon Hill are definitely worth considering for that budget. You could also consider Tat Chee ave Yau Yat Chuen, which is a very short walk on a flat surface to Festival walk shopping mall and the Kowloon Tong MTR. The kids would also have a 5 minute commute to school by school bus, taxi or a 15 minute walk on foot with an accompanying parent/helper, from one of the many international schools that are all crammed into K/tong/Kowloon City.

YYC was the first area we lived in, very convenient, an excellent area if you have kids and a good place to meet up with other expat parents for a coffee, as Festival walk (largish mall) is 5 minutes walk away.

Last edited by Skyhook; 14-09-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    No longer in an NT village then? So you'll be ditching the car soon then? (oh gawd, I was wandering around Sam Shing last Saturday, I might have even bumped into you!)
    I do think about ditching the car but I still like it for our weekend exploring missions and yes, village life is behind us for now..I am too busy now and just want the comfort of living in a complex for a while..

Actually, speaking to you, (a fellow Tuen Muner!!), reminds me, on Sunday we caught the ferry from Ferry Pier to Tai O, took just under an hour and 30HKD per person, free for those lucky enough to be shorter that 90cm!!! Anyway, cracking day out that, saw a pink dolphin and enjoyed a bit of seafood and a bumble around the old fishing town with it's stilt houses - reckon I spent under 1000HKD all in including transport, boat tour, lunch, snacks and taxis to and from the ferry - two adults and two kids..

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    I do think about ditching the car but I still like it for our weekend exploring missions and yes, village life is behind us for now..I am too busy now and just want the comfort of living in a complex for a while..

Actually, speaking to you, (a fellow Tuen Muner!!), reminds me, on Sunday we caught the ferry from Ferry Pier to Tai O, took just under an hour and 30HKD per person, free for those lucky enough to be shorter that 90cm!!! Anyway, cracking day out that, saw a pink dolphin and enjoyed a bit of seafood and a bumble around the old fishing town with it's stilt houses - reckon I spent under 1000HKD all in including transport, boat tour, lunch, snacks and taxis to and from the ferry - two adults and two kids..
    If you'd gone on Saturday it would only have cost you HKD25! (unless they have put the prices up recently). I take that ferry regularly - it's great for getting to Tai O for hiking (if you are the adventurous type, there is a great stream trek you can get to from Tai O but i'd leave the kid at home!).

Both of the last two times I took that ferry I have seen the pink dolphins - it's a bonus. Although for the first few years I never saw one, so perhaps they are coming closer this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Umm no Bryant, the Gold Coast actually borders Siu Lam and So Kwun Wat, NOT Sham Tseng at all...

Furthermore, I thought Sham Tseng was actually phonetically pronounced as Sum Jen in Canto, locally..
    First of all, it doesn't matter, it's just a light hearted dig at M07 for implying that living in Sam Shing is synonymous with living above a fish market. Secondly, my comment about Sham Tseng was for the benefit of Carang who hadn't heard of Sam Shing even! You know yourself Skyhook that we're talking a five minute drive either way but when you bring So Kwun Wat into it as a neighbour you're not doing too much to improve the situation of the Gold Coast (Sam Shing Hui) !!

Thats not true at all Bryant, So Kwun Wat is actually the beginning of the village houses on the hill that are right opposite the Gold Coast right beside the estuary that flows into the Gold Coast Marina.

Siu Lam begins from Tsing Lung Road which is the street that runs beside the Gold Coast that goes to Pearl Island.This is a short walk from the Siu Lam Flea market near Aqua Blue, which you have been to.

Both area's are listed under Tuen Mun re mail... Is Sham Tseng part of the Tuen Mun district, or does it fall under Tsuen Wan ? Mat might know ....

Last edited by Skyhook; 14-09-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Both area's are listed under Tuen Mun re mail... Is Sham Tseng part of the Tuen Mun district, or does it fall under Tsuen Wan ? Mat might know ....
    Sham Tseng belongs to the Tseun Wan district.

Mong Kok.

Hermitage within walking distance with major clubhouse appeal. Kindies nearby are also good. 5 man would get you something like 1800. Or try Kowloon Station, where 5 man would get you 1300.

Quote Originally Posted by Spurssyd:
    Hi my wife and I will be moving soon to HK with our 2 children. The youngest is only 3 and the eldest will be starting school in September 2012.

Cheers
    Options are Higher Mid level, Kowloon station (near elements) or Hung Hom

Thats not true at all Bryant, So Kwun Wat is actually the beginning of the village houses on the hill that are right opposite the Gold Coast right beside the estuary that flows into the Gold Coast Marina.

Siu Lam begins from Tsing Lung Road which is the street that runs beside the Gold Coast that goes to Pearl Island.This is a short walk from the Siu Lam Flea market near Aqua Blue, which you have been to.

SKyhook - Sham Tseng is in Tsuen Wan and there is really no need to give me a geography lesson about this area pal - it's where I live! On the other hand, you are clearly just using Google maps and trying to be a smart *&rse because if you knew what a piece of rubble So Kwun Wat is and how tiny and insignificant the two villages are that you're talking about I'm sure you wouldn't bother!