Cockroaches in Village Houses???

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I have to ask about geckos again. Were you serious about getting a pet gecko? If yes, where would I get one? And wouldn't it just escape at the first opportunity?

Quote Originally Posted by axptguy48:
    I have to ask about geckos again. Were you serious about getting a pet gecko? If yes, where would I get one? And wouldn't it just escape at the first opportunity?
    You are not going to find one in a store as I have never heard of purchasing one.

Recommend you go on a hike in the new territories and keep your eyes open.

Yes chances are that it would escape especially if an adequate food source is not available

Quote Originally Posted by axptguy48:
    Geckos come in if they live nearby and they stay as long as they find food.

Regarding the first post - we don't have cockroaches in our village house. It much depends on the cooking style and how well you clean your house and especially the kitchen. Cockroaches are common where a lot of oil is used for cooking and the oil vaporises and condenses in and near the air outlet around the kitchen window. That pretty much describes Chinese kitchens.

I had tons of cockroaches in China, where the kitchen could only be cleaned after moving in by using a flamethrower and burning all that grease and slime off the surfaces.

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate:
    ...where the kitchen could only be cleaned after moving in by using a flamethrower and burning all that grease and slime off the surfaces.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA "flamethrower". Thanks for the laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Expatriate:
    Regarding the first post - we don't have cockroaches in our village house. It much depends on the cooking style and how well you clean your house and especially the kitchen. Cockroaches are common where a lot of oil is used for cooking and the oil vaporises and condenses in and near the air outlet around the kitchen window. That pretty much describes Chinese kitchens.
    Also depends on your neighbors. If you live in a village house that is subdivided into apartments (some have two others three) then the roaches easily move between apartments and lie their eggs. Even if you keep your place clean that does not mean your neighbors standards of cleanliness align with your own.

Flaming throwing is the first time I have ever heard of it ... Thanks for sharing and will keep this method in mind.

Arrow

unfortunately your live-in Gecko might step into your cockroach trap, too. If you know you have one collect your traps. I forgot it and was very sad to see my gecko dead on the gluemat :'(

another hint: NEVER try to kill a cockroach by stepping on it. You will collect all the eggs in the little crevices on your shoe sole and spread them all over the house.
    Best to use a nicely aimed shot of RAID. Much more satisfactory, too.

Kombuchakid, not sure if you're still following this thread but I've just used your idea for killing bugs - ie the peppermint and cypress oil mixed with water along the wall edges. Smells nice! Wondering if I can just mop the floor with it! I have recently been seeing too many of those disgusting silverfish in the flat and I am adamant to get rid of them! I am hoping this works...

Quote Originally Posted by BettyInToronto:
    Is it a given that a flat in a Village House; any floor will have cockroaches? My husband was born in HK and lived there until he was 21 when he came to Canada to go to school. We will be going back to retire in 5-7 years and during one of our planning talks, he tells me that there will be bugs - especially cockroaches. And not the small ones like here in Canada but HUGE ones that fly!

Can someone who lives in a Village House please reply? We are looking at the Mui Wo area on Lantau Island.
    I used to live in Mui Wo for one year in a chinese low rise building almost next to the ferry pier. In that 12 months i have seen a cockroach 5 or 6 times. Some of my friends who lived in a appartment building next to me had them all the time tough. Big ones. I guess it really depends on the building you choose but yes in most village houses you will stumble upon a cockroach from time to time.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4