Cockroaches in Village Houses???

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cockroaches in Village Houses???

Is it a given that a flat in a Village House; any floor will have cockroaches? My husband was born in HK and lived there until he was 21 when he came to Canada to go to school. We will be going back to retire in 5-7 years and during one of our planning talks, he tells me that there will be bugs - especially cockroaches. And not the small ones like here in Canada but HUGE ones that fly!

Can someone who lives in a Village House please reply? We are looking at the Mui Wo area on Lantau Island.

Yes. But it's a given that pretty much ANY apartment in HK will see one or two from time to time - I've certainly had them in a quite up market 38th floor apartment.

Agreed, its hard to completely avoid them. HK is very humid and tropical, which lends itself to bug life. We get one every now and then and we live on the top floor of our building. They seem to come in from the balcony, but not sure how they get all the way up there. As long as you keep your place clean (no open food about) you'll keep infestations to a minimum. And there are the usual bug traps and regular exterminator appointments that really help. The exterminator does a really good job controlling bugs (roaches etc.) down at the barn where we horseback ride and I'm pretty sure the same would apply for a village house.

Last edited by hello_there; 16-07-2007 at 02:27 PM.

No roaches here! Just the occasional mosquito, silverfish or gecko. We have screens on all the windows except in the kitchen and the one in the maid's bathroom. I live in the Mid-Levels. We do have a very large wasp's nest on the roof, but they never get in the apartment (thank God).

Cockroaches

Yes, you will get loads of them. I lived in Discovery bay on the 5th floor and we used to get them from time to time. I admit though, that we did not have any screens on the windows and I guess the odd huge cockroach would fly in through one of the windows.

Thanks Everyone

Thank you for all your replies though you didn't do much to calm my nerves. Hubby says right off the bat we are installing screens on ALL the windows. That's the norm here but I guess not there.

Tonight we had a little bit of fun as we had a bat, yes a bat in our ensuite shower stall. I can't for the life of me figure out how he got in the house; let alone upstairs in the master bathroom. Anyway, hubby caught him and we released him outside. I've told him he is in charge of these kind of things and he'll have more work once we get to HK.

Betty, thought you might want to have a read:

http://www.ivenus.com/travel/postcar...lobal-wk18.asp

Did you reall yhave to Pekkerhead!!!

I just read the article and now I'm more pyched out than before. Is this really all true or just one expat's experience? I hate bugs!
    Last edited by BettyInToronto; 20-07-2007 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    No roaches here! Just the occasional mosquito, silverfish or gecko.
    Gecko's eat some types of bugs ...

Bugs are a part of Hong Kong's humid environment.

Quote Originally Posted by BettyInToronto:

I just read the article and now I'm more pyched out than before. Is this really all true or just one expat's experience? I hate bugs!
    I think that article exaggerates a lot, because it sounds like you'd see bugs on a daily basis. As others said cockroaches can appear everywhere, but I usually only have 1 or 2 sightings per year in my own flat. Keeping your flat clean does not make a lot of difference though. For example, I even saw a cockroach on the first day after I moved to a brand new flat on a high floor. The best defense are traps and exterminators.
    Last edited by geo-seb; 23-07-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast