Like Tree11Likes

where to live hong kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Try Gold Coast, Siu Lam area. To HK station is 50 min. Not sure what a one bedroom is but 3 bedrooms are about HKD 21000.

Quote Originally Posted by bagel:
    Try Gold Coast, Siu Lam area. To HK station is 50 min. Not sure what a one bedroom is but 3 bedrooms are about HKD 21000.
    If you stay in the GC residence you can catch the shuttle bus in the morning - that is quicker than the normal bus, more like 30mins if you catch and early bus and 40mins for a peak hour one. There did used to be some for about 7k for a 2-bed but that was a while ago, not sure about now.

OP: sime great options that are well connected to central (for me that means not stuck on an MTR but comfy on a bus) abd whithin 45 mn are:
    Castello in Shatin but ur budget is too low
    Sea Crest Villa in Sham Tseng, u can get a 600 sqf w nice sea views for about 8k
    Aegean Coast in the Gold Coast area. The smaller flats should be around 8.5k

Sea Crest is the closest to Central by bus.

Those are quiet, clean and well maintained properties w stunning views,

Agree with DeletedUser - 30 minutes from the GC to central is not true. or it is only counting the "bus ride" on a good day.

the min you are looking at is about 45mn.

Sea Crest Villa as I mentioned ealier is a good choice and much closer to Central (the bus ride in itself is max 30mn).

You could also take a look at Bellagio in the same area.
    Other options could be on the other side (ie Tseun Kwan O...) but I am much less familiar and I like it less to be honest.

I would not (personal opinion here) like to be in Tung Chung as it "feels" far - the train ride might be fast but the feeling is "wow so far".

If you want peace and quiet I would not consider Tsing Yi, Tseun Wan...too populated.

Another option would also be to look at Ma On Shan,

Last edited by Mat; 04-10-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Mount Haven @ Tsing Yi, 5 - 10 minutes (depends on traffic) shuttle to Tsing Yi Station, right next to Cheung Hung Public Estate with a small wet market and small shopping arcade. Look for an unit facing inwards to the swimming pool and the big lawn but avoid any units facing outward. 674' 2 bedrooms around 11K - 12K.

Last edited by dtb; 04-10-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Original Post Deleted
    Agree entirely. You should, however, read my post carefully so that you can see I CLEARLY identify the 30mins (early bus) or 40mins (later bus) as the BUS RIDE and thus, as usual, TB's comment is irrelevant.

I guess you did the same, did you, when I told you about the GC and have been blaming me ever since? Geez some folks can hold a grudge.

Original Post Deleted
    It may surprise you to learn that many people have a regular life and go into work at the same time each day. For those, the resident buses, which leave (for the OP's information) at 7am, 7:30am, 7:45am, 8am, 8:15am and 9:35am from Phase 1 (and 5 mins later from Phase 2) are really useful. They go direct to outside the Post Office in Connaught Place (the 7am bus taking about 28 mins from Phase 2, the 8:15am bus taking about 40-45mins from Phase 2 and the rest inbetween) and then on to Central Plaza in Wan Chai (add another 4 mins offpeak; up to 10 on peak).

If your office fits with these locations, GC would be ideal for you.

Sham Tseng, on the other hand, is also a lovely place to live and particuarly good if you work in Admiralty as the 962B starts there. If you work further along (ie Wan Chai to Quarry Bay end of town) it becomes harder because you would have to change buses.

You might also want to consider Park Island - which has a ferry to Central. It's cheap and apparently very nice but I have not personally been there.

I recommend places I actually know (and leave others to recommend places they know) because recommending something you know nothing about does not seem to make much sense!

Seeing as central is the OP's commute priority and while considering their housing cost limitation, Discovery Bay sounds like a better fit to me ie a simpler commute to Central via an easy 25 minute ferry trip.

It will provide them with the peace and quiet that they are looking for, plenty of Euro centric eateries/watering holes on the water front and a one bedroom apartment that has been recently modernised with a sea/mountain view, will be well within their budget constraints. A two bedroom place for not much more...

Out of all of the locations that have been nominated previously, DB sounds like the overall best option to me.......

Last edited by Skyhook; 04-10-2011 at 10:29 AM.

I looked closely at DB when I moved here. I liked it for many of the reasons you outline, but I did find the "family" orientation of the place a little un-nerving. I'm also not sure you'd find a 1-bed at 7k there these days, I was looking at 6-8k when I was looking for a temporary option 4 years ago ......

DB has become expensive now. 8-9K for a one bedroom + 1,300 for the ferry (monthly) + 240 for the buses (monthly) oh and if you want Gym memberships thats like another 1,000 dollars per month.

I moved out of Db six months ago.