Renting a Village House in Saikung?

Renting a Village House in Saikung?

Hi,

We're moving to HK on Nov 1st.
    We've decided to go to Sai Kung / CBW area.

However we have a few requirements, and I wonder if we can find something like this.

We don't know the area so I would really apprciate your advice!

We're looking for a house with a fenced yard (for pets).

We need 2 or 3 bedrooms.
    We need high speed internet.
    We don't have a car so we need to be closed to bus or mtr.
    Dryer or room for a dryer.
    We need air conditionning.
    We'd like to be closed to sai kung city.
    We have a 7 months old baby, so we want proximity to kindergarten/schools.
    House must be safe!

That's about it!

budget between 10k and 15k max per month.

Now I know this may not be possible, but can we get close to that?

I wanted to rent the place prior to arrival, but it seems to be a bad idea.

But we're coming with our cat and it seems difficult to find a hotel that accepts pets. Any suggestion?

Thank you!

Olivier

Strongly suggest you come out and take a look before making ANY commitment. We had planned to live in a completely different area before we moved here, changed our minds when we arrived.

Mat

Olivier,

You will not be able to find a house for that price but you will be able to find a flat in a house.
    Houses are usually 2100 sqf split on 3 levels + a roof top. Each level has usually 700 sqf of surface comprising of 3 bedrooms.
    For your budget you can get a 700 sqf flat on the 3rd floor + roof top (of 700 sqf too) or 2 levels (ie 1400 sqf but in a more "remote" location).

We need 2 or 3 bedrooms: as I said, doable
    We need high speed internet: no issue
    We don't have a car so we need to be closed to bus or mtr: plenty of buses and minibuses (no MTR in Sai Kung) depending on where you find
    Dryer or room for a dryer: If you get a 3rd floor + rooftop you can put that on the rooftop
    We need air conditionning: no problem
    We'd like to be closed to sai kung city: there are plenty of options, you will need to come and look
    We have a 7 months old baby, so we want proximity to kindergarten/schools: Not super familiar with Sia Kung Schools
    House must be safe!: Define safe, safe from thieves or safe from "nature": ie insects, snakes...

Overall I agree with Satay, it's best if you can rent for a month a Service Appartment and visit the places before making any decision.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by olivierg

I wanted to rent the place prior to arrival, but it seems to be a bad idea.
    Yes, that is a bad idea, unless you already know HK and know what to expect (ie a house in HK - unless you are really rich - is nothing like a house in Europe).

Just a few extra thoughts - as well as a 3rd floor & rooftop arrangement, you could also consider a ground floor flat - many have fenced areas surrounding them.
    Ask around the neighbours about cell phone reception: even if a company offers good bundling of services, you might need to get a mobile contract with a different company in order to get any signal when you're at/ around home.
    If you want to commute by MTR rather than road, you could also consider village areas around the Yuen Long, Tin Shui Wai and Tuen Mun districts.
    And just to say that it can't be emphasised enough that you need to be on the ground here to inspect the flats; don't even think of renting from internet advertising.

Thank you everyone for all!

Any suggestion for a serviced apartment that would accept my cat?

I will come and rent for a month then.

Our next option will be to rent a bigger villa with 4 BR and at least 2 bathroom. Then we share the rent with my partner.
    I found a very nice one in Yuen Long. How long does it take to go to HK? to the airport? if you don t have a car... lots of taxis overthere?
    house is for 35000 and that s ok for us.

I see from pictures that houses are not like in europe, but i've been in caribbean for over 5 yrs, so I think I know what to expect.

That's why we'd prefer to share a nicer house.

If ones know about a house with 4 BR, at least 2 baths, with private yard, well fenced, and in our budget, i d be happy to visit.

Thanks for the help!

Olivier

You got it, safe in both ways!

Thank you everyone for all!

I see from pictures that houses are not like in europe, but i've been in caribbean for over 5 yrs, so I think I know what to expect.

Olivier
    It's nothing like the Caribbean here either!

Thank you for that olivierg!

Mat

I think it is really best you come and take a look

35K - you can get a 4 bedrooms 2 bathroom in Yuen Long no issue. But Yuen Long is the total opposite of Sai Kung so I am not sure if this works for you.

Where will you work?