Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Young family looking for international community

Young family looking for international community

Hi, We are a mixed couple relocating to Hong Kong in January with a 1 yr old. We are looking to move into a diverse community with access to tennis courts, international pre-school and within 30-45 mins door to door to Central (ideally). Grandparents live in Tai Po, which would be too long a commute. But anywhere in between Central and Tai Po might be nice so they can visit the little one daily. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mat

Budget and size you are after?

Kowloon Station perhaps, depending on budget. Very convenient, one 3 minute MTR stop to Hong Station, short walk from there to Central. Also quite conventient MTR connection to Tai Po, switch trains once at Hung Hom. We live in The Cullinan btw and love it! Also an option is Olympic Station, a bit cheaper than Kowloon Station and two MTR stops to Hong Kong Station/Central. If you need more info just let me know. Good luck!

Last edited by Molie; 09-10-2011 at 09:58 PM.
    wcdma likes this.

Mat

Kowloon station is way more expensive than Olympic and Cullinan is one of the most expensive property in HK.

OP try to give us an idea budgetwise, then we can advise better.

Depending on budget, as others have said, Kowloon Tong sounds appropriate.

Mat

Could be anywher from Univeristy to Central, unless we have a clear idea on prices and size.

1. Kowloon Station is alright but not that convenient for Tai Po and a SUPER expensive place (by all standards).
    2. Olympic is alright but but not that convenient for Tai Po, cheaper than the above
    3. Kowloon Tong is prefect in terms of location but a VERy expensive area (by all standards). Good Schools nearby
    4. Ho Man Tin is good in terms of location (no MTR though, coming soon but efficient bus system) and average in terms of pricing. Good Schools nearby
    5. Hung Hom is good in terms of location (no MTR though, coming soon but efficient bus system) and average in terms of pricing. Good Schools nearby
    6. Sha Tin is prefect for the grand parents, some good school nearby, a bit of everything in terms of pricing but more like 45mn to Central

Budget and size we're looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Budget and size you are after?
    Hi, Thank you so much for all of your responses. We are looking for a 2 bedroom ~ 1000 sq feet. Budget-size, we don't have a set budget so if you have idea of ranges for the places you're recommended, that would be much appreciated. We will be dual income (both mid-level business professionals) but no housing allowance. Any specific complexes in the areas you're recommending would be great also.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by nancykho; 11-10-2011 at 12:56 AM.

I think if you are both working with a young family you will need to ensure you get a place with a maids room as you'll need a DH.

If you can find something affordable in the Kowloon Tong area, I still think that works best for you. It's a case of getting feet on the ground and looking for something - even in expensive areas there are sometimes bargains to be had. I don't know much about the costs of kowloon tong but had heard it was a more expensive area, but good for families, schools and the location you wanted.

Mat

Kowloon Tong will be on the expensive side. Assuming u bring home about 100k a month i would look at keeping rent at 22-20k or below and this leaves you with Hunghom (Laguna verde and Royal Peninsula), Ho Man Tin (older properties u can take a look at Centadatavwebsite for ideas price wise) and Olympic (places like Long Beach..)
    In those you would be looking at 800 to 1000 sqf for 18 to 22k a month,

Castello is worth having a look in Shatin if u do not mind a slightly longer commute.

I would avoid Kowloon Station and Kowloon Tong unless ur budget is in the 30 to 50k bracket.
    I am sure you can find for cheaper there but it will take a lot of searching.

Thank you so much for your suggestions. We will look online at those areas and communities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast