Working in Hung Hom - reviews of nearby apartments/accommodations? (yes, I searched)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Working in Hung Hom - reviews of nearby apartments/accommodations? (yes, I searched)

Short version for the time-challenged:

Where in/near Hung Hom to live?
    Bonus -- Close to:

Transportation
    Supermarket
    Gym
    Fun?

Long version:
    I'm 26, fluent in mandarin, and I'll be working in Hung Hom and probably need a place to live - being homeless in Kowloon doesn't sound like an attractive experience. I'd like to live in/near Hung Hom for short commutes, and near expats if possible - it should make the initial transition easier no?

I'd like to find a spot convenient/close to transportation, a "western-friendly" supermarket, and a gym. Royal Peninsula seems pretty popular but I'm sure there are hidden gems I'm missing in close proximity or within Hung Hom.

This forum has been great so far in educating about HK, and I look forward to personal experiences regarding apartments in/near Hung Hom. Thanks in advance!

i would look at:

laguna verde
    whampoa gardens

i'm sure there are more there now, compared to when i lived there in 1995 (about 5 western faces in the whole area back then)

Mat

Laguna Verde and Royal Peninsula. Whampoa is rather old now.

yes, i guess it is... when i lived there it was fairly new and expensive. i didn't live in whampoa gardens, but the older version of whampoa estates....

I'm in Royal Peninsula, no complaints, nice sized apartments, good gym/pool. Looked at Harbour Place, but preferred RP as the former crams 3 beds and 2 bathrooms into the same floor space as 2 beds and 1 bathroom in RP.

Rp has nice big floor to ceiling windows where Harbour Place has stupid little ones you have to stand to see out of.

Both nice complexes though. Didn't look at Laguna Verde as it is that much further from the MTR/tunnel.

There are big Wellcome/Park n Shop in Whampoa very close to RP/HP, wet market not far either.

Sent from my MB525 using GeoClicks Mobile

The nearest expat bars are on the strip by TsT centre on Mody. My usual watering hole. Whampoa is still very local.

Mat

There is also a big Jusco inside the boat.

There are a few westerns resto (Outback...) in Whampoa itself and some excellent noodles shops in the area. It's more family oriented but it has a good atmosphere (less crowded than CWB, WanChai, TST...) but not dead - decent amount of mid range shops (Esprit...).

Overall a good area to live in (and a nice walk by the waterfront).

There is also a small but nice park next to Laguna Verde (lots ot Tai Chi in the morning)

Mat

One note though, I would avoid Harbour Place. It was initially built to be a Public Housing (hence the 3 bedrooms, 2 bathroom in a 700 sqft flat and the small windows). It looks "nice" outside because they made facny adjustment (pool...) but the construction is definitely public housing.

Mat

Gym is in most complexes mentionned, if not there is a California.

Laguna Verde is further away from MTR but super well deserved in terms of buses.

thank you - very helpful. I'll seriously consider both RP and LV...

Is the view/surroundings better at LV due to location (closer to water/parks?) or is it negligible?

Is travel significantly more convenient from RP (MTR vicinity) or do the buses work well from LV?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast