Like Tree7Likes

One Bed, $65,000 budget

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chris24net:

MovingIn07, not sure I can talk the GF into a boat.
    You'd be surprised.

Think "floating house with all mod cons" NOT "boat". Compared to many HK apartments which are poor quality construction, terrible for noise, rooms all much too small and kitchens which are quite appalling quality (no oven, for example), the boats here have large spaces and high quality fittings, mains power and water (so normal kitchens and bathrooms) and they never actually GO anywhere.

On your budget, most of my criticisms of apartments can probably be mitigated, but you might want to leave your prejudices at the door and take a look.

There is no way in the world I would have considered living in a boat before. No way. Hated the things. But I love this one - mainly because I wanted a bedroom that had enough room to walk all around the bed, PLUS large wardrobes, PLUS a nice big set of drawers and a dressing table, PLUS an en-suite bathroom with room for amenities as well as the minimums..... And i wanted a kitchen with a full size oven, dish-washer, full size American fridge-freezer with icemaker, room for a couple of microwaves and cooking surfaces - all of which I have here and which I didn't see in any of the flats I looked at. Having said that, I refused to look at flats over 30k a month (4 years ago) so not in your league.
    And I didn't want adjoining walls with neighbours making noise at all hours of the day and night (a huge problem here).

Anyway - each to their own. Its a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    The problem will be the dog as not many serviced apartments in Hong Kong are pet friendly. Also, you mentioned your GF will be working at IFC, in order to triangulate a suitable location, where will you be working?
    If I had to guess....he's probably the trailing half...and does not yet know where he will be working. If the G/F is working in IFC she's likely with a financial services firm (UBS, BNP, Fidelity, etc) and they're living off her housing budget. So the point of his employment location (or likely lack thereof) is probably moot. You can draw a small semi-circle around IFC from Sheung Wan up to Robinson Road and ending at around Garden Road (McDonnell Road etc.) There is nowhere else I imagine NY yuppies with a dog ending up. Of course I'm assuming and stereotyping here.

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    If I had to guess....he's probably the trailing half...and does not yet know where he will be working. If the G/F is working in IFC she's likely with a financial services firm (UBS, BNP, Fidelity, etc) and they're living off her housing budget. So the point of his employment location (or likely lack thereof) is probably moot. You can draw a small semi-circle around IFC from Sheung Wan up to Robinson Road and ending at around Garden Road (McDonnell Road etc.) There is nowhere else I imagine NY yuppies with a dog ending up. Of course I'm assuming and stereotyping here.
    Ha! Right on some, not on others. I'm a photographer so location neutral. And yes, her job, her allowance. Not finance. :P Yuppies, no. Dog, yes. lol
    climber07 likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

No visa?

Anyway DB is a better option than Mid-Levels, imo, for a dog.

Thanks MovingIn07. I'll check into it more.

Moving - You've made me want to live in a boat. (Seriously.)

Are there any websites with pictures of these things?

You could opt for an unserviced apartment and rent furniture from one of the many furniture stores. Giving you the furnished option.

From memory Indigo Furniture has a monthly rent option.

That might open up some options for you.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:

I honestly considered it when I first moved here as well. Check out Saffron Marina - Boats For Sale Hong Kong, Yachts for Sale Hong Kong, Sailboats, Houseboat Hong Kong, Liveaboard Boats, Hong Kong Marina, used boats Hong Kong, second hand boats, Boats for sale, motor boats, power boats, Speedboat, Boat driving cours, they have a pretty good range. There's another website that does DB only, let me dig that up.
    MovingIn07 likes this.

On the serviced apartment side of things. We stayed in Shama which was two bedrooms in Causeway Bay for around that budget. Very nice. We were quite high up so had plenty of light, and a small view of the Harbour.

Not sure if they allow pets but you could ask.

Very easy access to the MTR and tram so very easy to travel to the IFC building

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:

Saffron Marina - Boats For Sale Hong Kong, Yachts for Sale Hong Kong, Sailboats, Houseboat Hong Kong, Liveaboard Boats, Hong Kong Marina, used boats Hong Kong, second hand boats, Boats for sale, motor boats, power boats, Speedboat, Boat driving cours

I was extremely tempted when my lease here was up 6 mnths ago, you really do get a lot for your money.

Financing was a problem as lenders will only lend on a boat if the term of the loan and the age of the boat is less than seven years.