Visiting Hong Kong, Dec 15th - Jan 16th [Need Accommodation Advice]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Visiting Hong Kong, Dec 15th - Jan 16th [Need Accommodation Advice]

Hello. I just decided to register to GeoExpat since a lot of search results for "Hong Kong accommodation recommendations" were directed to here. Seems like a lot of people are quite knowledgeable from this site and I hope you guys can help me out.

I'm going to visit Hong Kong later this year, arriving on Dec 15th and leaving on Jan 16th. My planned budget is 6-9k (10k if I'm very convinced) for one month accommodation; Of course the cheaper the "better", but I also understand I get what I pay for. Two of my main criteria is that the place needs to be close to downtown (as in close to shopping malls, restaurants, etc.), and close to a MTR station. Places similar to Causeway Bay seems to be a good choice.

Security is also something to consider, as I'll be leaving my backpack in the room for literally the entire month. I don't think I'll be leaving anything spectacularly valuable in the room, aside from my camera when I'm not using it for the day, and maybe some cash. This is one of the main reasons I decided not to go with any hostels, especially the ones in Chungking Mansion. I've read some posts that mentioned owners/managers would bring potential renters to your room and show them the place, whether you're present or not. I don't think I really like that idea.

I see numerous threads regarding the reviews/information on studios like StudioStudio, Cozy Studio, Y Studio, H Studio, City Loft, and Empire Studios, etc.. However, most of these threads are a few years old, and I've seen mixed reviews for most of them. Empire Studios seems like one of the better rated places here.

Based on the criteria above, I'm wondering if anyone with more recent knowledge regarding these studios, whether they are listed above or not, can shed me some light and give me some recommendations.

Much appreciated.

Last edited by Gravien; 20-10-2011 at 02:40 PM.

that's a very tight budget. You may get a place in Chungking mansions for that.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

You are travelling at peak times - Christmas and New Year - when accommodation is most expensive and harder to find. Plus you want it near to an MTR station, which again bumps up the price.

Yes Inn in Kowloon has monthly rates. YESINSPACE - SERVICED APARTMENT IN KOWLOON AREA Sure it's a hostel but it's not too seedy.

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 20-10-2011 at 03:08 PM.

You're going to seriously struggle on that budget. I stayed at Sun Kong Hostel in Causeway Bay for around 1 month 5 years ago. It was very small but clean and very convenient (next to Causeway Bay MTR station), from what I remember it was about 6k per month back then. I've no idea what it's like now or how much it would cost you.

Hong Kong Youth Hostel - provide budget rooms, motel, pension & guesthouse services.

Last edited by Cheesindave; 20-10-2011 at 04:18 PM.

Try and look at hotels for one month package, Emperor, Panda, Ramada

I stayed in Mui wu Silvermine beach hotel in Lantau for a month cost me HKD 5,000 - but that was 8 years ago!

Or consider guest houses in Lamma/Lantau

Last edited by bak875; 20-10-2011 at 05:20 PM.

first... head to a red minibus at about 2am and tell the driver you'll give him a tip if he can get there twice as quick as usual.

The hospitals in HK are cheap.

What about Ibis Hotel in North Point. Last time I looked it was about 7k a month.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile
    What about Ibis Hotel in North Point. Last time I looked it was about 7k a month.
    Really? That's a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86
    Really? That's a bargain.
    Doesn't sound right to me. 230 HKD a night? Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Doesn't sound right to me. 230 HKD a night? Not a chance.
    Was a year ago, but it was around that mark. Not sure though if that was for a longer booking, e.g. six months. I've paid HK600 or less for a night there so you would get it cheaper for a month.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast