Like Tree3Likes

Tsing Yi ? Isn't it the best place to live in NT

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mat

u better live in Tin Kau, Sham Tseng, Tsing Lung Tau, Siu Lam or Goldcoast if you work in Tuen Mun.

Tin Kau and Sham Tseng are only 5/10 mn from Tsing Yi and 20 mn to Tuen Mun

Tsing Yi to Tuen Mun takes around 40 minutes by MTR (Tsing Yi -> Name Cheung -> Tuen Mun), I've done it several times.

The bus (68A) takes the same time if not a little longer PTES says 45 minutes).

Quote Original Post:
    No it's not the same. The terminal used by the Park Island shuttle bus at Maritime Square in Tsing Yi is also used by shuttle buses to other estates and while people went berserk at the PI bus stop not so at other ones (with less people). I am not sure how often that occurs I am just saying.

To other estates you can take taxis, mini buses, public buses, private cars, scooters or just walk in worst case, while on PI you have to rely on the ferry and shuttle bus exclusively. If the ferry stops service, you are doomed.

I'd be very pissed if I try to get home after work and it takes me half a day. I know, force majeure, but living somewhere near an MTR (such as Tsing Yi) or public bus station makes life a little easier.
    Park island has approved 24 hour access for taxies. So now apart from ferry and bus, u will now have taxi as an option. The taxi access has been controversial as public facilities are arguably more environmentally friendly but eventually the owners committee decided taxi access is ok.

Quote Original Post:
    Park island has approved 24 hour access for taxies.
    That is good news in general, but no use when there is a typhoon signal hoisted and tens of thousands of people around Tsing Yi are trying to get home at the same time.

public facilities are arguably more environmentally friendly but eventually the owners committee decided taxi access is ok.
    I doubt that the ferry is environmentally friendly (compared to buses for instance, or a couple of taxis here and there) if you really run the numbers. I've once done a quick an dirty comparison of the fuel burn and carbon footprint of the ferry to Macau to a helicopter ride to Macau because somebody mentioned a "environmentalist" shouldn't take a helicopter ride. In reality, ferry and helicopter were close in terms of fuel burn, because the ferry takes much longer and many seats remain empty.

If Park Island wants to be a truly environmentally friendly place, stop the ferry or only have it sail when the PAX count is above 80% or 90%. Everything else is marketing in my opinion. There is nothing environmentally friendly on PI. This marketing scheme is probably a side effect of some contractual obligations (ie. building on island only approved if not publicly accessible by road transport, bridge/exit construction not suitable for heavy/frequent traffic, etc).
    Last edited by 100LL; 08-05-2011 at 10:56 AM.

I am OK with the taxies, although I would prefer if all HK taxies became electric.

The busses on PI are all desil hybrids (whatever that is). Its supposed to be the cleanest form of bus in HK, but I am not sure how a diesil hybrid works (does it mean they partially are powered by electricity?) The buss company was requested to provide these busses as part of the tender to service Park Island.

Public transport, in general is supposed to be better for the environment than individual cars, but I agree, if you ar running busses or cars that are not full enough then you potentially defeat the purpose. I think the challenge though is how you encourage people to use public transport in the first place. It needs to be convienient and frequent enough for people to consider using it, so its chicken and egg thing. If its not frequent enough, less people will use it, making it uneconomic. Of you make it more frequent, more people will use it, but you risk half empty transport vehicles at certain times.

On PI, they do have some good environmental ideas. For example all the exculators with motion detectors, that only start up when a person approaches, household rubbish divided into 3 types for all buildings (like many places in Europe), a waste food recycling program, those hybrid busses, tree and flower gardens, environmental education classes and volunteer programs for children on the estate, no public cars allowed to be driven onto the island (except transport vehicles, etc), resulting in considerable less traffic fumes, building towers all seperated to allow for airflow and avoid a wall effect ot trapping air.

Of course any development in HK could do a lot better on this area. Is there any development in HK that you think stands out at having a stronger stance on the environment and any developer who really would put environment ahead of profit???

On PI, they do have some good environmental ideas. For example all the exculators with motion detectors, that only start up when a person approaches, household rubbish divided into 3 types for all buildings (like many places in Europe), a waste food recycling program, those hybrid busses, tree and flower gardens, environmental education classes and volunteer programs for children on the estate, no public cars allowed to be driven onto the island (except transport vehicles, etc), resulting in considerable less traffic fumes, building towers all seperated to allow for airflow and avoid a wall effect ot trapping air.
    I agree it is a nice looking place with all the trees and flowers. But for the rest, I don't think it is exclusively to PI. I am living in Tsing Yi and we got all that. Let me check.

- Escalators with motion detectors CHECK
    - Household rubbish divided by 3 types CHECK
    - a waste food recycling program NOT SURE
    - those hybrid buses - we've something better: NO BUSES you walk from/to MTR
    - tree and flower gardens CHECK
    - environmental education classes and volunteer programs CHECK
    - no public cars allowed to be driven onto the island FAIL
    - building towers all "separated" CHECK (same as PI)

I think what you are seeing is an initiative by Sun Hung Kai Properties, so I believe it will sooner or later show up at more of their properties if it didn't already.

Interesting about the hybrid buses. The ones that I used (Dennis Dart and Super Pointer) where not the hybrid models but maybe they have added newer models (Enviro200) lately.
    Last edited by 100LL; 08-05-2011 at 12:56 PM.

By the way, I just found this document online:

Park Island - Contingency Traffic Arrangement - High Wind and Typhoon (A) & (B)
    http://www.pitcl.com.hk/eng/image/pd...rrangement.pdf

It mentions that the Tsing Yi facility is usually overloaded when the Typhoon 8 signal is hoisted.

Last edited by 100LL; 08-05-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Original Post:
    If living on tsing yi what would be the
    Best way to commute to tuen mun? Any ideas how long it would take?
    We wre moving to hk soon and scouting around for ideas on where to live. Work is in tuen mun.
    Bus 140m from tsing yi mtr station to sam shing (20mins approx), hkd11.

What's rent like on Tsing Yi?

Could I expect to pay something like 6-8 thousand for say a 2 bedroom place in a fairly decent building?

Any development on an outlying island is by definition environmentally unfriendly unless you also work on the island.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast