Like Tree3Likes

Tsing Yi ? Isn't it the best place to live in NT

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Tsing Yi ? Isn't it the best place to live in NT

I'm reading the posts about DB and Park Island, and I was wondering why nobody is posting about Tsing Yi?

I mean, it seems to be as cheap as DB and PI, calm with trees, and it also has a MTR station on the Airport express line !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 14 minutes by MTR to HK/Central station and 13 minutes to the airport !!!!!!!! And you don't have to take the stupid ferry, it's a stop on 2 different MTR lines (Airport and Tung Chung lines).

Can anybody tell me why no expat live there? I tried to find flats on GoHome.com in Tsing Yi and it seems that there's nothing listed there.

I know one expat living there.

His place doesn't really fit what most expats that I know are looking for.
    It's a shoebox sized apartment in a large estate with limited facilites around the place (not bad if you've gone completely local but v little western groceries or restaurants it seems - might be different nearer the centre).

V few other expats there as well (we're a clique bunch generally...).

No obv beach that I'm aware of, unlike DB, Sai Kung, South Island etc.

Also is it not hit harder by pollution than most areas?

Quote Originally Posted by PC_Man:
    Also is it not hit harder by pollution than most areas?
    Would have to be given the pollution streaming out of the PRC/Pearl River Delta.

These winds blowing south year round that bring all this pollution in to Hong Kong? or are we trying to play our pollution on others?

Actually, most of the air movement over China stems from what happens on the Tibetan Plateau. Now the plateau is hot, this air rises and sucks air into the interior off the ocean (so the winds are coming from the S/SE). When winter comes the air sinks, forcing a reversal of summer trends (and pollution comes out of China).
    Which is why you notice pollution on the horizon in HK more often in winter than summer.
    Of course, this has nothing to do with the pollution coming from HK itself. Ground level pollution probably doesn't change much throughout the year. Plus you have the pollution coming from the harbor area and the generating plants. However, this pollution tends to be more localized than the stuff coming out of China and can not be seen in the sky nor on the horizon (at least here in the NT). And those aforementioned generating facilities do not generate quite the toxic mess nor the amount of pollution coming down the Pearl River.

I worked in Tsing Yi and I'd have to say I agree with the OP - why don't more people live there? Can't remember the name of the condo at Maritime Square, but when we were looking for apartments I know it was about 40% cheaper there than Olympic (where we ended up).

There's Park n Shop for "western" stuff ... it's no CitySuper but if you want to shop there all the time you're probably not looking at apartments in Tsing Yi. The mall is a decent size and being on the MTR you can get to anywhere else fairly quickly too.

Personally didn't find it any more polluted than Central or Kowloon, in fact I quite enjoyed eating my lunch outside on the GRASS

The only thing that put me off? I was a teacher and didn't want to live so close to all the kids I taught ... it was bad enough getting my morning coffee on the way to work

Thanks SJ23 !

There's quite a lot of people on this forum who like to add their off-topic posts and spoil the topic of a thread. Thanks for being focused and not doing like the others...

Last edited by eagerbeaver; 10-08-2007 at 04:30 PM.

What was off topic?

You asked why expats don't seem to want to live there and you got answers...

if you wanted to start a Tsing Yi fan club, why didn't you say so...

kokoyashi likes this.

Tsing Yi is not bad in terms of transportation really by HK standards.
    However, it is really incredibly crowded and, unless you are used to it, it wears you down to see thousands of shoppers every time you step out of your apartment.
    The surrounding views are not as good as South side, DB, and nearby Park Island or Sham Tseng.

I recopmmend you take a good look around in these places before committing to Tsing Yi.

PS: Tsing Yi is also quite pricey actually for what it is

I totally agree, I'm not sure about walking into a crowded mall everytime I step outside my building... it's like living in an office building. I think in HK it would be best to be somewhat 'away' from it all - or else you'll get exhausted... because TY is a transportation hub for the area - why not choose other places around/accessible to TY instead? (vs. living AT the hub)..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast