Lease advice - electrcity issues

Closed Thread

Lease advice - electrcity issues

Hello. We haved moved into a village house on a 2 year contract (13 month get out clause - standard contract). 1 month ago all the power went out. We discovered the circuit that operates all the power outlets in house is faulty. Isolate that circuit and we can run some appliances from the only working outlets in the whole house -those in the kitchen - using a series of power boards and extension cords etc. Not safe for many reasons, but especially with a 2 year old toddler. There was also a problem with water coming through the wall around one of the outlets. Landlord has sent workers numerous times and each time the problem re-occurs - lose all power if circuit switched on and still water leaking into house. They cut off the outlet where water was coming through - thank god - but still the same problem.

Luckily the landlord has sent workers as I know this is rare in HK. However for 1 month now we have put up with irregular or makeshift electricty supply and now large water issues. We are very concerned about the safety of our son and do not want to be here. The ll seems less and less convinced it is a problem and I fear may cease sending people out. It is a big problem and one that will involve a lot of $ I think.

Question: is there any way to get out of this lease (legally) given the issues regarding electricity? I know tenants have very few rights here but one is a safe and regular supply of electricity I thought??

Any advice regarding who I can ask about this would be appreciated.

Read the tenancy agreement carefully to see if there is a clause about landlord's responsibility for proper electrical wiring in the house. If so, that is the reason to terminate the contract by request. Even there is not, in reality, everything is open for liaison. I think you simply request or insist to terminate the lease. Call the agent thousand times a day and the landlord does not want trouble as well.

Thank you. Yes i think that i will have to request or demand termination if the matter is not dealt with soon and properly once and for all. The agreement does state "the landlord shall keep and maintain the structural parts of the premises including the main drains, pipes and cables." I think that is my best grounds for a case... "cables". He is sending people to repair but it is not being fixed. It can't go on and I do think he will get tired of me emailing and calling him everyday about it.

Good luck.