Like Tree46Likes

Where to live for HK$20,000-25,000

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger
    Not really. Try to walk from Elements to any neighbouring district.
    Done that so many time - to Jordan, to TST, to Mongkok....hmm...haven't yet tried to walk to Central. Is it possible ? ;-)

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by wcdma
    ...haven't yet tried to walk to Central. Is it possible ? ;-)
    Yes - Feb 5th.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrantharbour
    So this is in the New Territories is it? How would you commute if you didn't want to drive in -- MTR? Bus?
    Most of those are bus. Many large developments have their own shuttle buses which go directly to Central (or the nearest MTR station, whichever works for them, or both). There are also numerous public buses.

As an example, the Gold Coast has shuttle buses to Central & Wanchai; TST (during peak hours) ; Tsuen Wan MTR; Airport (which go all day); the 962 and 962B going to HK Island (every 10 minutes or so); 141 to Tsuen Wan and Tsuen Wan West MTR (half hourly); the 140M to Tsing Yi MTR(every 7 minutes); 52X to Mongkok (every 9 minutes); 61M to Mei Foo area (every 10 minutes) as well as pretty much every bus in the other direction to Tuen Mun (town and MTR).

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    Most of those are bus. Many large developments have their own shuttle buses which go directly to Central (or the nearest MTR station, whichever works for them, or both). There are also numerous public buses.

As an example, the Gold Coast has shuttle buses to Central & Wanchai; TST (during peak hours) ; Tsuen Wan MTR; Airport (which go all day); the 962 and 962B going to HK Island (every 10 minutes or so); 141 to Tsuen Wan and Tsuen Wan West MTR (half hourly); the 140M to Tsing Yi MTR(every 7 minutes); 52X to Mongkok (every 9 minutes); 61M to Mei Foo area (every 10 minutes) as well as pretty much every bus in the other direction to Tuen Mun (town and MTR).
    Thanks. And how long would a commute on one of those shuttle bases take (and would they take me to close to The Center?). I see from the MRT website that Tsuen Wan to Hong Kong MRT is 22 minutes -- so add on getting to Tseun Wan and getting from HK MRT to the Center and I'm guessing this is 45-50 minutes door to door?

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrantharbour
    Thanks. And how long would a commute on one of those shuttle bases take (and would they take me to close to The Center?). I see from the MRT website that Tsuen Wan to Hong Kong MRT is 22 minutes -- so add on getting to Tseun Wan and getting from HK MRT to the Center and I'm guessing this is 45-50 minutes door to door?
    I would think it is a bit more than that. Gold Coast to Tsuen Wan is apparently 15 minutes. So

Gold Coast walk to and waiting for bus 5 minutes
    Bus Trip 15 minutes
    Walk to MTR platform and wait for train 5 minutes
    Trip 22 minutes
    Walk from Central to The Center 10 minutes

Not much change from an hour.

You might be better off getting a shuttle bus directly to Central and then walking to the Center. You might get away with 45 minutes then if the traffic isn't bad, but over an hour if you fall back to the public buses.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    I would think it is a bit more than that. Gold Coast to Tsuen Wan is apparently 15 minutes. So

Gold Coast walk to and waiting for bus 5 minutes
    Bus Trip 15 minutes
    Walk to MTR platform and wait for train 5 minutes
    Trip 22 minutes
    Walk from Central to The Center 10 minutes

Not much change from an hour.

You might be better off getting a shuttle bus directly to Central and then walking to the Center. You might get away with 45 minutes then if the traffic isn't bad, but over an hour if you fall back to the public buses.
    Using Gold Coast as an example (and noting that there were other developments listed in the original post) I agree with TheBrit that you are usually MUCH better off catching the shuttle to central or a public bus than going to the MTR station. It's also cheaper and more pleasant.

His timings are a little off - the MTR shuttle bus goes from the clubhouse - you'd have to be in the furthest tower to be a 5 min walk from that (I can get there in 7 minutes from the furthest end of the marina next door to the complex). 15 mins is about right for the bus to Tsuen Wan; unlikely to wait 5 mins - Tsuen Wan is a surprisingly well laid out station where you get to the platform quickly and trains go every 2 mins; journey to Central is 28 mins (I've timed it a few times) despite what the MTR website says, plus I agree, walk to The Centre is 5-10 mins. Overall the +'s and -'s balance.

Compared to a 962 (peak hour) bus would be around 45 minutes to Sheung Wan (get off at the Macau Ferry Terminal and walk from there - closest to The Centre I think). 5 min walk. Add 5 mins waiting for the bus (it's quite frequent in peak hour).

The shuttle buses go to the General Post Office - not brilliant for getting to The Centre - at least 10-15 mins walk I'd say. They take 30mins (7am, can be 25 mins; 7:30am and sometimes 9:30am bus) - 50 mins (8:20am bus) - usually around 40 mins is fair.

Other developments may have shuttle buses which drop off in different locations though. I think they were all closer to Central than GC, so that's your outside limit. Things in Sham Tseng are about 15-20 mins closer, for example.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 06-12-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Mat

I'd recommend you to look closer to the Tsing Ma/Tin Kau bridge for similar prices but faster commute:

Tin Kau and Sham Tseng come to mind.

Thanks for the detailed info on travel times.

The commute from Gold Coast, Sham Tseng etc is obviously longer than from Olympic or Kowloon station -- do you get significantly more for your money at these developments than around Olympic/Kowloon station?

Yep, it's cheaper to live out in the NT for sure. I tried both and would not consider moving back from Kowloon to the area around Gold Coast... For me, the shorter and more pleasant commute far outweighs the cheaper cost of living out there.

Thanks Brit. Food for thought. Kowloon/Olympic would certainly be ideal commute wise -- according to the MTR website the train journey is 5 mins/7 mins respectively so I'm assuming I could do it in 30 mins door to door to the Center.

But if I end up finding I'm not getting enough for my money around there I can look at the NT... think I'll just have to see when I get to HK

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast