Like Tree46Likes

Where to live for HK$20,000-25,000

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrantharbour
    Thanks Brit. Food for thought. Kowloon/Olympic would certainly be ideal commute wise -- according to the MTR website the train journey is 5 mins/7 mins respectively so I'm assuming I could do it in 30 mins door to door to the Center.

But if I end up finding I'm not getting enough for my money around there I can look at the NT... think I'll just have to see when I get to HK
    You need to decide based on quite a bunch of criteria - clearly the commute is longer. And yes, the amount of space for your money is very different - compared to Olympic perhaps double the space (or half the cost) out here - depending on what you are looking for, could even be more than that.

There are other advantages/disadvantages.

Advantages of Gold Coast/Sham Tseng type of area:
    * convenient for shenzhen
    * convenient for airport
    * much closer to "nature" - hiking and beaches
    * good 'local' shopping and restaurants, many with outdoor seating
    * good facilities in the developments - tennis/squash/football field/indoor and outdoor pool/gym/parking etc etc

Advantages of Olympic/Kowloon:
    * also convenient for airport
    * excellent for all kinds of shopping - close to TST and mongkok - wider range and number of supermarkets etc
    * many more restaurants in total and wider range (but many in shopping malls or local places - so depends what kind of thing you like)

If you like a smaller number of nice things, outdoor spaces and the feel of "more space" then further away works. If you are well organised and capable of meeting a schedule, then the journey is not a problem. If you can do other things on the bus (read, surf, study, work) then the journey is not a problem. For example, I can do NOTHING on an MTR commute whereas I can pretty much make use of my time for the entire bus commute because 1) I have a seat 2) I usually have an empty seat next to me 3) no changes and a decent length of time to focus.

Only YOU can tell if that works for you. It works for me. TheBrit hated it. Different strokes for different folks!

i live in Olympic and work in central. i can get to work door to door within 30mins. hk transportation are very reliable so I would suggest you save your energy and worry about other aspects of living in HK.

Mat

I live in the NT, I am door to door (office in Admiralty) in 40 mn (trip is sharp 30mn). Bigger flat, nicer views, cheaper but double the time most my expat tcolleagues take to reach office. On par with my local colleagues since most live in kowloon/NT or on the island but past North Point. Most senior management is in Tai Tam, Stanley, Repulse Bay so again 40 mn or so for them to reach office.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    I live in the NT, I am door to door (office in Admiralty) in 40 mn (trip is sharp 30mn). Bigger flat, nicer views, cheaper but double the time most my expat tcolleagues take to reach office. On par with my local colleagues since most live in kowloon/NT or on the island but past North Point. Most senior management is in Tai Tam, Stanley, Repulse Bay so again 40 mn or so for them to reach office.
    Mat - whereabouts in the NT? Can you recommend specific buildings that are likely to meet my criteria in my OP? And how would I commute from them to The Center?

Thanks

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 11 12 13 14