Like Tree46Likes

Where to live for HK$20,000-25,000

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrantharbour
    Thanks for the advice. How long is the commute -- say assuming you live 10 minutes walk from the ferry terminal in DB. How frequent are (fast) ferries? Time on the ferry seems to be anything from 25 mins to 35 mins depending on who you believe/how hard they are trying to sell it to you! And how long is the walk from ferry terminal to the Center (an a/c walk doesn't sound a good way to avoid turning up at work drenched in sweat from what i hear of the HK humidity)
    Frequency is good 15 - 20 mins peak times. ferry costs abt HKD 1400 per month though.

bdw is right, don't rule out DB its a decent place you'll get more for your money in terms of space + 10 or 15 thousand people live there significant proportion are expats who work on HK Island

Ferry from DB to Central is 25 mins. From Park Island to Central its 23 mins.

There are a few things I like about the ferry:

1 - you always know what time it will leave. So you get there a few minutes before, wait, guranteed a seat, and off you go. And you always know what time you will arrive too! Anyone who has lived in Mid Levels will have experienced waiting for a bus or taxi, and for whatever reason a taxi seems impossible to catch, and the minibusses are full. Always seems to happen just when you have an important appointment or are going to the airport! So, bear in mind, that it might seem that being in Mid Levels is a shorter commute, but actually when you factor in waiting time, it may not be. And then once you are on, you sometimes have traffic jams, and also often cannot easily get a seat (even worse if you have shopping and a baby to carry etc). Ferry from PI to Central is half the price of the DB one, which also helps

From Ferry to Center, it pretty easy and most of its aircon. I know many people who do it.

For PI, apart from ferry, there is also taxi and bus transport, (which DB does not have as far as I know).

Also, in DB, many people need to walk or get a mini bus to and from their DB apartment to the ferry terminal. On PI, everyone walks, and for most people the walk is 5 mins or less (all under sheltered walkways).

We're in Mid-levels, Mr SS's office is close to Center, on Queen's Road Central. By foot, 9 mins, has done it in 3 mins in a taxi (obviously early morning!)

so randy - that's fine if you work in central ferry pier.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue
    We're in Mid-levels, Mr SS's office is close to Center, on Queen's Road Central. By foot, 9 mins, has done it in 3 mins in a taxi (obviously early morning!)
    And what are you paying for rent there?

None of your business!

edit: Sorry OP, my reply doesn't really help you but I was responding to Randy's comment that a commute from Mid-levels may take longer than from Park Island!

Last edited by Satay Sue; 11-11-2011 at 01:43 PM.
    luckycat and SiuMaiTaiTai like this.

SS doesn't pay rent. Whever she moves, she just buys the entire building innit.

justjoe86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue
    None of your business!

edit: Sorry OP, my reply doesn't really help you but I was responding to Randy's comment that a commute from Mid-levels may take longer than from Park Island!
    OK - let me rephrase the question - what would an "annonyomous person" pay to live where you are living? The point being that the OP has a budget of 20-25K for accomodation of a certain size and a certain number of bedrooms etc (read the original posting, they key parts of which I will set out for you):

-We would ideally like 3 bedrooms, or at a minimum, 2 bedrooms with some kind of additional maid's room. If we could have a 2nd bathroom that would be a (valued) advantage.

- If we could have a gym in the building that would be an advantage, but less interested in other clubhouse type facilities.

- It is important for us that the apartment is in good condition and kitchen/bathrooms nicely fitted out.
    Last edited by randy1; 11-11-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1
    OK - let me rephrase the question - what would an "annonyomous person" pay to live where you are living?
    Given you claim to own over a dozen properties in Mid-Levels I would have thought you might have known.
    Last edited by TheBrit; 11-11-2011 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1
    OK - let me rephrase the question - what would an "annonyomous person" pay to live where you are living? The point being that the OP has a budget of 20-25K for accomodation of a certain size and a certain number of bedrooms etc (read the original posting, they key parts of which I will set out for you):

-We would ideally like 3 bedrooms, or at a minimum, 2 bedrooms with some kind of additional maid's room. If we could have a 2nd bathroom that would be a (valued) advantage.

- If we could have a gym in the building that would be an advantage, but less interested in other clubhouse type facilities.

- It is important for us that the apartment is in good condition and kitchen/bathrooms nicely fitted out.
    As I stated, my reply was not to the OP but to you. You brought up the subject of Mid-levels.
    Also, OP wanted a commute within 30 minutes which living on Park Island would not have.
    Last edited by Satay Sue; 11-11-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast