Like Tree2Likes

Where to live for HK$30,000-35,000

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Some friends live in Monmouth Place in Wanchai which have some nice big flats, but rent would HK$40k plus. Star Street is a popular area to live in Wanchai, not sure of the rents though.

Quote Originally Posted by ojo:
    Some friends live in Monmouth Place in Wanchai which have some nice big flats, but rent would HK$40k plus. Star Street is a popular area to live in Wanchai, not sure of the rents though.
    Friend in star street was paying 49k for an 800sq ft place over a year ago. I'd guess it's more now.

IMHO folks who pay that much to live in Wan Chai have more money than sense.

PS - occupy - the WHOLE PLACE IS HONG KONG so you can live anywhere and be "in Hong Kong" ...re your comment about Sydney. I find people (not just you, but others) who make comments about "living in the real Hong Kong" meaning "living on HK island" to be rather insulting of the majority of the HK population, who don't. Are they "less real"?!!
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 14-12-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Kowloon side is the 'real' Hong Kong, imho, as that is where majority (3/4) of the Hong Kong population lives....

MovingIn07 likes this.

Wanchai is almost same price as flats in SoHo. And you will have hell of a lot more problem finding a "western-style" flat. Also I think SoHo is a much nicer area.

I have a friend that just moved into a place in SoHo, 1 bedroom, open kitchen to living room, private terrace with jaccuzi, very nicely furnished and decorated, oven, dishwasher, built in sound system. 35 000 HKD per month.

All this stuff, hard to find, but most likely to find it in an area where expats with a bit of money (as yourself) live. And more of those live in SoHo than Wanchai.

You've got to love the internet. It's the only place where you can be misinterpreted faster than a pirate with a lisp.

My comment about Soho was really just to say that I had noticed a lot of Australia accents in that area and it was clearly an expat area rather than a place for locals. It wasn't meant to be derrogatory and I apologise if it was.

It's clear everyone here has an idea of where they want to live, and there is no right or wrong answer. Sounds like a lot of people have found great deals, which I am struggling to do!

Many thanks to everyone for contributing.

Quote Originally Posted by Occupy HK:
    My comment about Soho was really just to say that I had noticed a lot of Australia accents in that area and it was clearly an expat area rather than a place for locals. It wasn't meant to be derrogatory and I apologise if it was.
    Soho IS a place for locals, very much so. Just because it's full of bars and restaurants whose clientele is expat doesn't mean that local Chinese don't live there. I live in a Chinese building in Soho and I'm one of only three foreigners in the building. A lot of the expats roaming Soho are just there for drinking/eating, they don't necessarily live in the area....this is quite obvious in the morning going to work when there's a distinct lack of expats compared to in the evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Kowloon side is the 'real' Hong Kong, imho, as that is where majority (3/4) of the Hong Kong population lives....
    Is that if we make the assumption that the new territories doesn't exist?

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    Soho IS a place for locals, very much so. Just because it's full of bars and restaurants whose clientele is expat doesn't mean that local Chinese don't live there. I live in a Chinese building in Soho and I'm one of only three foreigners in the building. A lot of the expats roaming Soho are just there for drinking/eating, they don't necessarily live in the area....this is quite obvious in the morning going to work when there's a distinct lack of expats compared to in the evenings.
    Agree. I live in Mid-levels which some people like to refer to as a "expat ghetto". In our building I reckon there are 6 or 7 foreign households - out of 130 apartments. Even allowing for probably not seeing everyone that lives there, foreigners are obviously in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Is that if we make the assumption that the new territories doesn't exist?
    He said "kowloon side" not Kowloon. I'd say I live on the "kowloon side" of the harbour even if I am in the NT.....

Happy Valley.............