Sha Tin/Fo Tan apartment recommendations

Closed Thread

Sha Tin/Fo Tan apartment recommendations

Hi all:
    I'm a Brit but have been living in the US for the past 4 years.
    I've never been to China but I'm moving to HK in January.
    I'll be working in the Tai Po Industrial Estate, don't want to buy a car, but will be bringing 2 bikes with me (I'm a triathlete).
    I'm not a great fan of commuting so I'd like to live near an MTR station so I have the option of training or cycling to work. I'd also like to be able to get Downtown easily since I need to get out and meet people as I don't know anyone in HK!
    It seems bikes aren't allowed on the MTR so I assume I need to live north of Kowloon Tong if I want to cycle to work since GoogleMaps shows a big mountain (Lion Rock) cutting off the NT from downtown.
    I'm thinking about the Sha Tin/Fo Tan area and using this website to look for apartments:

中原地圖 www.CentaMap.com

I'm not sure how I feel about living in a high-rise (although having a swimming pool would be nice for triathlon training). I currently live in a 420 ft studio so it's not the lack of space but the anticipated feeling of claustrophobia. I currently live on the 2nd (top) floor, overlook green space and can be outside in <10 seconds.

Can anyone recommend an apartment building in the Sha Tin/Fo Tan area or suggest other areas I might want to look into living?

Many thanks,

Tam:

you might like to take a look at this. The ads are annoying, but gives you a bit of info on cycling in HK.

明珠檔案 - myTV - tvb.com

You might want to take a look at The Beverly Hills in Tai Po too. And Providence Bay in 2 years time.

I have several colleagues living in Jubilee Gardens in Fo Tan. They are in two bedroom places, guessing around 650 - 750 sq feet. There is a pool and tennis courts and a short walk to the MTR. You can get a nice Race course and river view from there. Very easy cycle to at least the HK Science Park and beyond.

DavidTC and Wangavegas gal - thanks for the info.
    DavidTC - can you provide a more specific link for cycling at tvb.com?
    Cheers,
    Tam

I would look at Tai Wai (one station further away from Tai Po than Shatin). If you're seriously a triathlete then you are probably happy about every additional meter. Plus, Tai Wai is in my opinion the most nicest part of Sha Tin district, it has grown from a small village and has all kinds of accommodation - from public housing over tiny 250sqft apartments (Golden Lion Garden) to fancy just finished apartment blocks with club houses.

You will rarely find up-to-date prices and information on web sites in HK. Have a look at property.hk to get an idea about the price ranges and apartment sizes in the different buildings, and visit some property agents to have a look at some flats. If you're looking for flats in a large estate, most agents will be able to show you several flats on the spot.

Thanks for the recommendation er2, Tai Wai definitely sounds worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tam75:
    DavidTC and Wangavegas gal - thanks for the info.
    DavidTC - can you provide a more specific link for cycling at tvb.com?
    Cheers,
    Tam
    Tam, that link is the program aired in August. The ads last for 30 secs and then gets into the program. There are 3 segments to it.

Castello in Sha Tin have nice flats ~750 sqf for about 15K a month.